Old 18-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Mark or Travis

Default leyland cypress

HI HI- wrote:
ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the
rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my
yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet
wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

__________________
Starting at the bottom is one thing.
Staying there is another.

Old 18-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Mark or Travis

HI HI- wrote:
ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the
rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my
yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet
wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

30 to 40 feet tall and 15 to 25 feet wide.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 18-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Pam

Mark or Travis wrote:

HI HI- wrote:
ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the
rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my
yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet
wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

30 to 40 feet tall and 15 to 25 feet wide.

At least - often considerably higher and with great speed.

Old 18-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Charlie

They get huge! And they're horrid! We have two at the front of our house
that were planted some time ago and they are knocking over a 6ft brick
perimeter wall. In retrospect, I'd go for a slightly tamer version!

Charlie.

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Penny Morgan

Yes, they do get over 50 ft. In fact, I have a catalog from a local nursery
where I buy perennials, trees and groundcovers, that says they
eventually will get 60-70 ft. tall.

Here's a reference for you. My neighbor planted a row of them about 2 feet
apart (way too close) about 7 years ago. They were in 1 gallon pots and
were about knee high (little saplings). They are now about 20' tall and
have formed a solid wall. She has to trim out some branches once in
awhile and her husband tried to cut a straight line on the tops, but
couldn't reach all of them.

They are a fast growing evergreen tree that is beautiful in texture and a
vibrant green. You can trim them to a smaller size until they get really
tall.
They are also prone to bag worms. They look like little hairy pine cones
hanging on the branches, but in reality, they will take over the tree and
suck all the nutrients and liquid out of the tree, killing it. If you ever
see these, you can remove them by hand or spray them (not sure which one,
but a hardware store would carry it). My new neighbor just lost a cedar to
them.

I also have some Leyland Cypress in my backyard behind a hill on the back of
our property. They were planted as a screen from a road behind the hill. I
just bought this house and it's only 5 years old. I don't know when they
were planted, but let's assume it's 5 years. They are probably 20-25 ft
tall and about 6-7 ft wide. When I say wide, I mean looking straight at one
side of the tree, not the actual diameter. Hope this doesn't
depress you. It will give you a realistic reference so you can make the
right choice for your yard.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 18-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "HI HI-" contains these words:

ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the
rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my
yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet
wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

No, he gave you an underestimate. They grow to 80 ft high, faster than
any other tree.

Janet.

Old 19-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

HI HI- wrote:

ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the
rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet
wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

Perfect revenge tree. Can't wait for mine to start taking off.
Old 19-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Penny Morgan wrote:

Yes, they do get over 50 ft. In fact, I have a catalog from a local nursery
where I buy perennials, trees and groundcovers, that says they
eventually will get 60-70 ft. tall.

Here's a reference for you. My neighbor planted a row of them about 2 feet
apart (way too close) about 7 years ago. They were in 1 gallon pots and
were about knee high (little saplings). They are now about 20' tall and
have formed a solid wall. She has to trim out some branches once in
awhile and her husband tried to cut a straight line on the tops, but
couldn't reach all of them.

Close planting should keep them from growing to full height. BTW, don't
sweat not being able to reach the tops, since topping is a no-no.
Old 19-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"HI HI-" wrote:

ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

They can get HUGE! Take them back and get a refund.

30 feet and 7 feet wide quickly, and 70+ feet talland 40 feet
wide over the next 10-15 years.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 19-03-2003, 04:44 PM
HI HI-

are you serious or is this joke?

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message =
"HI HI-" wrote:
=20
ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the =

rep told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet =

wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

=20
They can get HUGE! Take them back and get a refund.=20
=20
30 feet and 7 feet wide quickly, and 70+ feet talland 40 feet
wide over the next 10-15 years. =20
=20
Tsu
=20
--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Jules Henri Poincar=E9

Old 19-03-2003, 07:32 PM
DavesVideo

Tsu said:

They can get HUGE! Take them back and get a refund.

Before or after ther are grown?

30 feet and 7 feet wide quickly, and 70+ feet tall

I can hardly wait. We have planted about 20 of them in the past 3 years. The
first 2 we put in, are about 8' now. Hopefully the rest will grow fast and
become a mini-forest between our house and the road.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 20-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Pam

Not exactly a joke, but a slight exaggeration.. Leylands can and do get very tall and wide and they can do it pretty rapidly, but that height and
width is more likely to be seen after 25-30 years. And some cultivars will never reach that size.

pam - gardengal

Old 23-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Garrapata

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:47:52 -0500, "HI HI-" wrote:

i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet wide. he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

No. They can get twice that size
Old 23-03-2003, 04:44 PM
DavesVideo

Speaking of Leland cypress, I'm a bit conserned for the health of mine. Wanting
big fast growing trees to screen us from the road, we have been planting a
number every year. We now have about 20 trees with heights from 2' to 9'. The
past winter was a bit harsh and they are all now sort of a yellow green rather
than a deep color. There had been lots of snow and now lots of rain, so I doubt
they are drying out. Any thoughts?