Old 14-07-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default How much sunlight?

Maggie's Mom: Ray was speaking specifically about Phals. Catts and Oncids
prefer more sun (about 40% here in Florida, probably a greater percentage
for you since the sun is less intense up there); Phals are shade-lovers
(bright indirect light, but no direct sun much after sunrise). The
higher-light types are unlikely to bloom for you in the shade that a Phal
enjoys. There are many different kinds of orchids, just as there are many
different kinds of trees G, and they don't all grow the same. However, if
your plants were getting sunburned, I think you would have seen very obvious
symptoms within the first couple of days after moving them.

A lot of growers have culture instructions (for the types that they grow) on
their websites, myself included, but I'm in Florida ("blessed" with
_overabundant_ humidity G, among other differences) -- you would do better
looking for instructions from a nursery closer to your location. Google, or
visit www.orchidmall.com and scroll through the list of plant sources for
those in your area.

Someday, I'll figure out how to ship some of that excess humidity to those
of you who need it, and then I won't need to sell orchids anymore :)
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for advice. I had no idea that phals are so sensitive to sunlight.
Just in case, before I hear more on the subject, the orchids will go back
to their shaded place. Plenty of light, but no direct sunlight at any time
of the day.
Does anybody else have any ideas about orchids and sunlight?

Thanks! - Maggie's Mom.

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
Absolutely get that Phal out of the sun! The "rule of thumb" (almost
literally) I've heard is that if you can hold your hand a foot above the
plant, you should just barely be able to detect a shadow. More light
than that is too much.

I cannot speak for the others, due to your locale...

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -
www.firstrays.com

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all. I decided to "de-lurk" for a while to find out about
sunlight. I took my orchids out on the porch (I live in CO). For a
couple of weeks they have been staying totally out of the sunlight. Few
days ago I put them in the sunnier spot, where they get morning sunshine
until about 11 AM. I have a wildcat odontocidium and couple of young
cattleyas, as well as one phal that is just about done blooming.
I would love to know how much sunlight is too much for an orchid. And,
by the way: is it a good idea at all to take orchids outside in CO?
I hope I did not do anything stupid...
Peace, - Maggie's Mom.