Old 14-07-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom

Default How much sunlight?

Actually, the Colorado sun is pretty intense, this probably has to do with
the altitude. We're around 5700 feet, and believe me, you can get sunburned
to a crisp before you know it. I think moving the orchids out of the direct
sunlight was definitely a good idea. At their present location they have
abundance of daylight minus the burning sun. Actually, I believe that I will
have to move my cactus, as it appears it is getting sunburned.... seriously,
it has sunburn spots on its skin. I thought a cactus exposed to sunlight
through window glass won't mind the sun exposure outside. But it does mind.

My Phal gets fluorescent light most of the time. She lives on a specially
constructed shelf in the winter, and actually blooms in the winter. Last
she bloomed in September though December, and rebloomed in late April. Every
Summer I take her outside, and for last three years my orchids were placed
under a huge maple, where they got occasional spot of sunlight, but most of
the time they had green shade. They appeared rejuvenated when I was bringing
them home for the winter. Now I have this porch, and I am trying to do the
best I can, so the orchids can enjoy the summer warmth and I can enjoy my
orchids and show them off.

Thank you for your advice. I will try to look up some local orchid growers
and ask them all the hows and whys for this climate. However, it appears
that there aren't too many orchid growers where I live. Oh, well. Will have
to search for some orchid lover who lives in similar climate.

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Maggie's Mom: Ray was speaking specifically about Phals. Catts and
Oncids prefer more sun (about 40% here in Florida, probably a greater
percentage for you since the sun is less intense up there); Phals are
shade-lovers (bright indirect light, but no direct sun much after
sunrise). The higher-light types are unlikely to bloom for you in the
shade that a Phal enjoys. There are many different kinds of orchids, just
as there are many different kinds of trees G, and they don't all grow
the same. However, if your plants were getting sunburned, I think you
would have seen very obvious symptoms within the first couple of days
after moving them.

A lot of growers have culture instructions (for the types that they grow)
on their websites, myself included, but I'm in Florida ("blessed" with
_overabundant_ humidity G, among other differences) -- you would do
better looking for instructions from a nursery closer to your location.
Google, or visit www.orchidmall.com and scroll through the list of plant
sources for those in your area.

Someday, I'll figure out how to ship some of that excess humidity to those
of you who need it, and then I won't need to sell orchids anymore :)
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for advice. I had no idea that phals are so sensitive to sunlight.
Just in case, before I hear more on the subject, the orchids will go back
to their shaded place. Plenty of light, but no direct sunlight at any
time of the day.
Does anybody else have any ideas about orchids and sunlight?

Thanks! - Maggie's Mom.

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
Absolutely get that Phal out of the sun! The "rule of thumb" (almost
literally) I've heard is that if you can hold your hand a foot above the
plant, you should just barely be able to detect a shadow. More light
than that is too much.

I cannot speak for the others, due to your locale...

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -
www.firstrays.com

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all. I decided to "de-lurk" for a while to find out about
sunlight. I took my orchids out on the porch (I live in CO). For a
couple of weeks they have been staying totally out of the sunlight. Few
days ago I put them in the sunnier spot, where they get morning
sunshine until about 11 AM. I have a wildcat odontocidium and couple of
young cattleyas, as well as one phal that is just about done blooming.
I would love to know how much sunlight is too much for an orchid. And,
by the way: is it a good idea at all to take orchids outside in CO?
I hope I did not do anything stupid...
Peace, - Maggie's Mom.