Old 15-07-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default How much sunlight?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:07:11 -0600, "Maggie's Mom"
wrote:

Actually, the Colorado sun is pretty intense, this probably has to do with
the altitude. We're around 5700 feet,

Clip-------------------------------

Thank you for your advice. I will try to look up some local orchid growers
and ask them all the hows and whys for this climate. However, it appears
that there aren't too many orchid growers where I live. Oh, well. Will have
to search for some orchid lover who lives in similar climate.

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
m...
Maggie's Mom: Ray was speaking specifically about Phals. Catts and
Oncids prefer more sun (about 40% here in Florida, p

Kenni - we are using a 67% shade cloth in our gh - 365 days a year..
We don't get the hours of FL sun, But we don't get the clouds or
storms either. We also have 360+ days of sun a year and 1 mile less
atmosphere, pollution, and fog to filter it. YES we get sun. (Don't
worry your not the only FL grower who assumed we did not have sun.)

"Mom" -
I do think you are going to find the filtered shade or bright shade
will give them a boost if you can add some water. You might want to
put in a drip irrigation line where your going to summer them and just
use mist or spray nozzles. We use a drip line for all the hanging
baskets. It goes off morning and noon every day. Timers are great.

Just like the gh misters go off every morning for the Ascda.

As to Societies off I-25. -- You have Escalante in Santa Fe coming
north to the valley, but they meet in Santa Fe or Los Alamos.
Colorado Springs fairly new and I don't know how active they are.
Denver meets on the second Tuesday Sept to June at the Denver Botanic
Gardens -- if your up this way. I don't know what might be east of
you. Denver is the only one with a big judged show.

If your up this way on the second Sat. of the month drop down to the
Botanic gardens and visit the judging.

Vendors -- Mostly nursery's that wholesale them from Hawaii and don't
know what they have.

The only one in Colorado is Fantasy Orchids in Louisville (north west
of Denver just off hwy 36 on the way to Boulder). On line you have
Ray, Al, Kenni, (I am missing someone) all talking to you here. I can
also recommend Oak Hill Gardens in Illinois - Greg is from the
Springs.

Let me invite you to the Denver Orchid Show on the Second WEEKEND of
October at the Botanic Gardens - we will have Hoosier, Oak Hill, and 2
others (I forget who).

My email does work... drop me a line if you wish.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids