Old 15-07-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Bringing a lawn back from the dead

"Big Purple Nose" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, all, for the advice.
I think I am going to pass on the resodding for now. Not yet entirely
sure whether I go with the nuke and replant, or nourish what's there
with overseeding. I think I'll speak to the lawn rep about what the
odds are of nourishing and building on what's there - although there
doesn't seem to be much there. I have the patience, and some money, but
little time to devote personally. What personal time I do have
available is being used weeding and feeding the new hedges, shrubs and
flowers. One problem is the lawn care company which looked at things
(Nutrilawn) is not a landscaping company. They'll kill weeds and add
fertilzer, do core aeration, etc. etc., but they don't do seeding or
sodding so I'll have to check out a landscaper interested in a small
job.

Look up the word "overseeding" via Google. That (done at the right times of
year) and fertilization are two things you may as well begin with, since
they're the cheapest. Homeowners and golf courses are the two largest
sources of chemical pollution on this continent. If you adjust your
expectations a bit, learn to be patient, and do just a little work, you
*can* have a decent lawn. Not perfect, but that's a pointless goal anyway.