Old 15-07-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Big Purple Nose

Default Bringing a lawn back from the dead

Thanks, all, for the advice.
I think I am going to pass on the resodding for now. Not yet entirely
sure whether I go with the nuke and replant, or nourish what's there
with overseeding. I think I'll speak to the lawn rep about what the
odds are of nourishing and building on what's there - although there
doesn't seem to be much there. I have the patience, and some money, but
little time to devote personally. What personal time I do have
available is being used weeding and feeding the new hedges, shrubs and
flowers. One problem is the lawn care company which looked at things
(Nutrilawn) is not a landscaping company. They'll kill weeds and add
fertilzer, do core aeration, etc. etc., but they don't do seeding or
sodding so I'll have to check out a landscaper interested in a small
job.

Old 15-07-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Big Purple Nose" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, all, for the advice.
I think I am going to pass on the resodding for now. Not yet entirely
sure whether I go with the nuke and replant, or nourish what's there
with overseeding. I think I'll speak to the lawn rep about what the
odds are of nourishing and building on what's there - although there
doesn't seem to be much there. I have the patience, and some money, but
little time to devote personally. What personal time I do have
available is being used weeding and feeding the new hedges, shrubs and
flowers. One problem is the lawn care company which looked at things
(Nutrilawn) is not a landscaping company. They'll kill weeds and add
fertilzer, do core aeration, etc. etc., but they don't do seeding or
sodding so I'll have to check out a landscaper interested in a small
job.

Look up the word "overseeding" via Google. That (done at the right times of
year) and fertilization are two things you may as well begin with, since
they're the cheapest. Homeowners and golf courses are the two largest
sources of chemical pollution on this continent. If you adjust your
expectations a bit, learn to be patient, and do just a little work, you
*can* have a decent lawn. Not perfect, but that's a pointless goal anyway.

Old 20-07-2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Segovia

On 15 Jul 2006 06:06:31 -0700, Big Purple Nose wrote:

I have the patience, and some money, but little time to devote
personally.

In that case, sod may be your best bet *unless* you have an irrigation
system. As a landscaper for 22 years, I refuse to do a lawn renovation
with seed unless the customer has one. Experience has shown me that 95% of
homeowners will not follow the required watering routine to insure high
germination.

That seed must be kept moist until it pops. A misting 2-3 times per day to
keep the top quarter inch of soil damp is essential. Don't think for a
second you can skimp on this, or you will be sorely disappointed. It is
*the* single most important factor in getting good germination. Penn State
did some studies a couple years back that showed that allowing the seed to
dry out even *once* before germination resulted in a 30% decrease in seeds
germinated.

After it has popped and reached mowing height, you'll need to baby it a bit
for the first year, making sure it gets a minimum of an inch of water a
week. A half inch, twice a week is probably sufficient, depending on the
conditions at your site (soil structure, wind, sun, etc).

We can go on and on about soil tests, starter fertilizer, soil amendments,
PH, etc. etc.. That's all very important, but adequate water is more
important than all of those things put together.

If you're committed to proper watering, a very thick lawn can be
established in just one seeding. After a second overseeding the next
season, it will be indistinguishable from sod.

BTW - Don't bother with those moronic companies who do nothing but drive
around in a spray truck. Proper turf care requires a lot more than simply
applying nitrogen and Trimec to a lawn several times a year. Get yourself
a qualified landscaper.

Best of luck.

--
Segovia