Old 15-07-2006, 05:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner

Default Vine ID?

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
wrote:
Malcolm Manners had this to say...:
:
wrote:
: Could someone tell me what vine this is? I'm assuming it is in the :
Cucurbitaceae. It's scrambling around an old stone wall in West

Virginia. : The flowers had fallen off and I neglected to get some
good close-ups - but : thought the plant was probably distinctive
enough to get an ID for it. If : not I can go back and find some other
flowers and try to get a good : close-up.
: :
http://bilton.us/vine1.jpg
: http://bilton.us/vine2.jpg

: Consider Aristolochia or at least that family (Aristolochiaceae) as :
well. Too bad you don't have good flower pics.

Here are a couple of further pictures:

http://bilton.us/vine3.jpg
http://bilton.us/vine4.jpg

--Kathy
kathy at the domain fred net

Definitely cucumber/squash family, Cucurbitaceae. Sorry for the detour.

The leaf shape does resemble that of many Aristolochia species, but
Aristolochia lacks the tendrils visible in the first two photos.
Instead, its stems twine, more like a morning-glory.

http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/WeakleysFloraPart3.pdf

is an online flora a bit further south [Virginia and the Carolinas,
IIRC] that may still be useful. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down to
Curcurbitaceae. Hope it helps.

cheers