Old 13-07-2006, 11:19 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Vine ID?

Could someone tell me what vine this is? I'm assuming it is in the
Cucurbitaceae. It's scrambling around an old stone wall in West Virginia.
The flowers had fallen off and I neglected to get some good close-ups - but
thought the plant was probably distinctive enough to get an ID for it. If
not I can go back and find some other flowers and try to get a good
close-up.

http://bilton.us/vine1.jpg
http://bilton.us/vine2.jpg

--Kathy

kathy at the domain fred net
Old 15-07-2006, 05:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
wrote:
Malcolm Manners had this to say...:
:
wrote:
: Could someone tell me what vine this is? I'm assuming it is in the :
Cucurbitaceae. It's scrambling around an old stone wall in West

Virginia. : The flowers had fallen off and I neglected to get some
good close-ups - but : thought the plant was probably distinctive
enough to get an ID for it. If : not I can go back and find some other
flowers and try to get a good : close-up.
: :
http://bilton.us/vine1.jpg
: http://bilton.us/vine2.jpg

: Consider Aristolochia or at least that family (Aristolochiaceae) as :
well. Too bad you don't have good flower pics.

Here are a couple of further pictures:

http://bilton.us/vine3.jpg
http://bilton.us/vine4.jpg

--Kathy
kathy at the domain fred net

Definitely cucumber/squash family, Cucurbitaceae. Sorry for the detour.

The leaf shape does resemble that of many Aristolochia species, but
Aristolochia lacks the tendrils visible in the first two photos.
Instead, its stems twine, more like a morning-glory.

http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/WeakleysFloraPart3.pdf

is an online flora a bit further south [Virginia and the Carolinas,
IIRC] that may still be useful. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down to
Curcurbitaceae. Hope it helps.

cheers

Old 16-07-2006, 12:16 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ron Hardin

The leaf shape isn't right and I don't know about the flowers, but its
way of laying on top of stuff resembles the Bur Cucumber, which
recently I've been working to kill off. It lays on top of just
everything growing around it, and grows suddenly, one day on top
of everything.

It's amusing to pull down, because it comes down in 40' sections
completely intact.

Anyway maybe a clue to the family.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 16-07-2006, 07:09 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.lang
Jim Heckman

[crossposted and followup to sci.lang]

On 15-Jul-2006, Ron Hardin
wrote in message :

The leaf shape isn't right and I don't know about the flowers, but its
way of laying on top of stuff resembles the Bur Cucumber, which
recently I've been working to kill off. It lays on top of just
everything growing around it, and grows suddenly, one day on top
of everything.

What exactly does it lay, on top of everything growing around it?

I know I'm supposed to insert some word salad here about the writer
wanting to do something but doing it another way because he thinks
it's 'correct' even though it feels wrong. But nothing short of a
postmodern-gibberish generator program can do that quite like Ron.

[...]

--
Jim Heckman
Old 19-07-2006, 03:57 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

had this to say...:
: : Could someone tell me what vine this is? I'm assuming it is in the
: : Cucurbitaceae. It's scrambling around an old stone wall in West Virginia.
: : The flowers had fallen off and I neglected to get some good close-ups - but
: : thought the plant was probably distinctive enough to get an ID for it. If
: : not I can go back and find some other flowers and try to get a good
: : close-up.
: :
: :
http://bilton.us/vine1.jpg
: : http://bilton.us/vine2.jpg

: Here are a couple of further pictures:

: http://bilton.us/vine3.jpg
: http://bilton.us/vine4.jpg

I have had the vine identified by Art Tucker at DSU after emailing my
Botanical Society of Washington list. After he provided the identification
of Thladiantha dubia, I found that the first hit in Google for that plant
is: http://www.libraries.wvu.edu/dandridge/g37.html. The woman who wrote
the article back in 1896 lived on the same property where I had found the
vine growing. The person who had shown me the vine and initially asked me
about it said that this year was the first time she had seen it. There was
some bush hogging done along the wall and lane and she thought that maybe
this had brought some old seed or parts of tubers to near the surface.
Given what she said about it, namely that the year after she had planted it
and then had tried to get rid of it that she found at least 20 plants, it's
amazing the whole area isn't covered with it.

I also found this paragraph about it on the web:

"A hardy herbaceous climber that I should mention rather as a warning than
a recommendation, unless you are confident of its siting, is Thladiantha
dubia. This is a member of the cucumber family, covered in yellow flowers
in September, but a real thug. Its tuberous roots explore everywhere and
make new colonies. I hate being told that such-and-such a plant is a
challenge, but this one certainly is."

--kathy at the domain fred net

Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care) Brian & Mary Bigler Gardening 11 11-05-2010 05:36 PM
Hummingbird Vine=Trumpet Vine? Suzie-Q Gardening 3 16-01-2005 12:05 AM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM
Potato Vine Pruning? Fleemo Gardening 1 07-02-2003 08:45 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM