Old 16-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default What eats brussel sprouts?

My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress (wilting
despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered in holes, so I
obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs, of which there was no
sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief that it was slugs and/or
snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and I've checked them every day since
and squashed all eggs and caterpillars as they have arrived but the leaves
are still disappearing fast, there are no aphids or any other visible pests,
but I noticed cherry stones on the soil and so I have come to the conclusion
that it could be birds of some kind? - do birds eat sprout leaves, if so
which ones and how do I stop them?