Old 16-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default What eats brussel sprouts?

My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress (wilting
despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered in holes, so I
obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs, of which there was no
sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief that it was slugs and/or
snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and I've checked them every day since
and squashed all eggs and caterpillars as they have arrived but the leaves
are still disappearing fast, there are no aphids or any other visible pests,
but I noticed cherry stones on the soil and so I have come to the conclusion
that it could be birds of some kind? - do birds eat sprout leaves, if so
which ones and how do I stop them?

Old 16-07-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote...
My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress
(wilting despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered in
holes, so I obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs, of
which there was no sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief that it
was slugs and/or snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and I've checked
them every day since and squashed all eggs and caterpillars as they have
arrived but the leaves are still disappearing fast, there are no aphids or
any other visible pests, but I noticed cherry stones on the soil and so I
have come to the conclusion that it could be birds of some kind? - do
birds eat sprout leaves, if so which ones and how do I stop them?

Pigeons do, and some, they leave the leaves looking like a skeleton with all
the soft green flesh pecked away but the hard stalky bits still there. Not
holes usually.
Netting works for birds but is a pain for weeding etc, old CD's/DVD's hung
up on a long cane like a fishing rod so they spin and flash in the sun
worked quite well for us as did video tape tied on stakes and allowed to
blow in the wind.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-07-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:

My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress (wilting
despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered in holes, so I
obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs, of which there was no
sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief that it was slugs and/or
snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and I've checked them every day since
and squashed all eggs and caterpillars as they have arrived but the leaves
are still disappearing fast, there are no aphids or any other visible pests,
but I noticed cherry stones on the soil and so I have come to the conclusion
that it could be birds of some kind? - do birds eat sprout leaves, if so
which ones and how do I stop them?

Pigeons. I've seen them do it.

Old 16-07-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Russel Sprout

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress

(wilting
despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered in holes, so

obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs, of which there was

no
sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief that it was slugs and/or
snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and I've checked them every day

since
and squashed all eggs and caterpillars as they have arrived but the leaves
are still disappearing fast, there are no aphids or any other visible

pests,
but I noticed cherry stones on the soil and so I have come to the

conclusion
that it could be birds of some kind? - do birds eat sprout leaves, if so
which ones and how do I stop them?

Look at the roots. I bet you have either root fly larvae, or club-root.

Old 16-07-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote...
[...]

One method of detering pidgeons is to have something bright red nearby,
pidgeons do not like red things apparently.

And it does work, I had some trouble last year and put some red plastic tops
from jars, they didn't come near the things again.

Alan

Old 16-07-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote after

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Phil L" wrote...
[...]

That explains why our neighbour has just put up a bright red scarecrow. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-07-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/7/06 22:52, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote...
[...]

Well, they can't STAND Ken Livingstone for a start!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-07-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote...
[...]

I couldn't see Bob's reply due to a troll using the me@privacy address and
it ending up in my killfile, it's now removed.....The leaves do look like
like skeletons, the veins are still there but the parts inbetween have been
eaten...I've got some bright red plantpots which I shall put on sticks
tomorrow inbetween the 10lb fishing line which is stretched across them,
cheers both.

To Russel Sprout:
I don't know what either of those pests look like but it's a
possibility...I'm loath to lift them up now as they are over a foot tall,
and the plants were quite strong prior to the leaves going awol, I don't
want to damage the roots if it's not that and risk damaging the plants
further, but thanks for the suggetions, I shall do some research.

Old 16-07-2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Ssott

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:52:07 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote...
[...]

Hang on, there's no chance it's rabbits?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Old 18-07-2006, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Cathy wrote
I can vouch for both the guilty pigeons and the effectiveness of CD's
(Tom Jones Greatest hits is particularly good).
However, now that my brussels sprouts are good size, healthy plants,
the pigeons don't come anywhere near them - Tom Jones's Magnum Opus is
by now obscured by their leaves, so doesn't play much of a role. Could
it be that the pigeons are now more interested in the wheat and barley
ripening in the fields a couple of miles away?

Don't rely on that Cathy, I've seen full grown sprout plants have their tops
pecked out completely during the winter, and some people love sprout tops.
They also attacked the sprouts a bit too.
Luckily they weren't my plants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM