Old 18-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike

Default Souvenir de la Malmaison

SNIP

Hi Allegra,

Well, that's good to know. Because SDLM is such a short little bush, I just
wanted to make sure that removing those bottom leaves wouldn't stress her
out too much. I've got some short lengths of pencil-thick bamboo that would
be perfect for making the support you described. I think SDLM will put out
leaves so quickly, the support will be obscured rather quickly.

I'm so glad that there's people out there who have been growing roses for a
lot longer than I have so I can pick their brains. g

OH - regarding your plans with the Felcos and the Climbing SDLM - don't
feel all alone with your Murphy's Law dilemma. I pruned and just a few days
after everything starting leafing out, we had a sleet storm and the
temperatures remained cold enough that ice clung to everything for two
days. That NEVER happens here. Luckily, most of the roses didn't seem to
notice. However, my Brilliant Pink Iceberg (which has never before shown a
single spot) was completely obliterated by a massive blackspot attack after
the thaw. Odd.

I have aphids already. This is shaping up to be a difficult spring. BUT -
My new Don Juan already has a big fat juicy bud on it (yay Chamblee's!) and
I can't wait to see the first velvety bloom. That's what it's all about.

Mike
z8TX