Old 18-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Mike

Default Souvenir de la Malmaison

It's such a short thickly-foliaged plant. I've noticed that if the weather
is wet and cool, it will have a tendency to develop blackspot at the bottom
of the plant where the leaves are so crowded and nearly touching the
ground. I was wondering if anyone who grows this rose thins out the leaves
to get better airflow and if this is a good idea to try to control this
particular problem?

Mike
z8TX

Old 18-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Allegra

"Mike" wrote in message
It's such a short thickly-foliaged plant. I've noticed that if the weather
is wet and cool, it will have a tendency to develop blackspot at the

bottom
of the plant where the leaves are so crowded and nearly touching the
ground. I was wondering if anyone who grows this rose thins out the leaves
to get better airflow and if this is a good idea to try to control this
particular problem?

Mike
z8TX

Hello again Mike,

The Diva Suprema! she of the balling habits, and blackspot
magnet. What I have done in the past is to make a support
system with willow cuttings similar to the one used to hold
up the heavy peonies, only that it has been mostly several
sticks of the same height placed around the perimeter of the
rose, to hold the lower branches up from the ground and about
15 to 18 inches from the trunk. I place about 10 and then
crisscross three or four all the way across and use some
copper wire to hold them together. Then I get to the
bottom of the plant and take anything closer to the ground
up to about 12 to 15 inches. At first it is pathetic but what
happens is that the inner branches start to curve over
the willow and pretty soon the whole thing disappears
between the foliage and the blooms.

It gives it plenty of air circulation and it is easier to clean
underneath if needed, as some foliage still grows at the
lower level. Here in Portland she is la diva divisima,
if there is a cloud in the sky, she is one slimy ball in
seconds. But I am so dense that I cannot give her up.
So now she is leafing and I am experimenting. I am
making her go around a support made of green wire
and instead of the usual fountain- like growth I want
to see if she would wrap herself around a column
weaving her branches in and out. She is a baby right
now, less than a year old and inside one of Leonard's
bathtubs, so we will see.

But indeed it is advisable to take the lower foliage
anyway. I do that even though we spray and still, the
closer to the ground, the more chances are there for
anything to crawl and cling to the foliage. And by
the way, Chamblee's sent me the SdelaM climber
and that guy doesn't understand that he is supposed
to stay down in the arbor. So Felcos in hand guess
what I am going to do tomorrow? That probably
will bring another hail storm like yesterday, sigh...

Allegra

Old 18-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike

SNIP

Hi Allegra,

Well, that's good to know. Because SDLM is such a short little bush, I just
wanted to make sure that removing those bottom leaves wouldn't stress her
out too much. I've got some short lengths of pencil-thick bamboo that would
be perfect for making the support you described. I think SDLM will put out
leaves so quickly, the support will be obscured rather quickly.

I'm so glad that there's people out there who have been growing roses for a
lot longer than I have so I can pick their brains. g

OH - regarding your plans with the Felcos and the Climbing SDLM - don't
feel all alone with your Murphy's Law dilemma. I pruned and just a few days
after everything starting leafing out, we had a sleet storm and the
temperatures remained cold enough that ice clung to everything for two
days. That NEVER happens here. Luckily, most of the roses didn't seem to
notice. However, my Brilliant Pink Iceberg (which has never before shown a
single spot) was completely obliterated by a massive blackspot attack after
the thaw. Odd.

I have aphids already. This is shaping up to be a difficult spring. BUT -
My new Don Juan already has a big fat juicy bud on it (yay Chamblee's!) and
I can't wait to see the first velvety bloom. That's what it's all about.

Mike
z8TX