Old 17-07-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Billywhizz

Default Bind weed covers our garden - how to get rid of it?!

"david taylor" wrote in
:

I have heard that you should let the plants grow as much as possible
then drench them with Round Up-in that way the weedkiller will spread
into their extensive root system.
It would be sensible to remove flowers in the course of the operation.
Round Up residues will disappear off before next year.
My experience with Round Up and couch grass is that small sections of
root do survive, so I would imagine your plot would have to be tightly
monitored in the years following treatment.-Bindweed will grow from
small fragments of root.
Regards
David T

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Hornblower" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have Bindweed covering most of our garden and plants, it seems
impossible to get rid of, every time we clean it from the garden it
is back (I know to try and remove the roots at the time time but it
is so well entrenched that this is proving very difficult). Is
there anyway to get rid of it or is it a case of clearing the garden
completely and restarting?!

It depends on the size of the garden, of course, but I used a
broad-leaf weedkiller where it was growing in grass, a "no lasting
effects" weedkiller where the plants growing with it didn't matter
too much, and then treated individual cases where it was entangled in
things I wanted to keep by pinching the bind weed off to "one pair of
leaves showing" and then I painted glyphosate gel onto those.

It will recur and you have to be persistent, but my system means that
I now only have a few areas that still need attention from time to
time.

--
Brian

I've found after 3 years of attacking any growth by simply ripping it out
and being careful not to bits everywhere that i have pretty much
eradicated it. Any that does appear now is very weak and spindly. I
also have a new growth that has appeared through a large bush and have
tried the plastic bag and Glyphosate method since pulling it out was
impossible and would have spread more bits to grow back. It has killed
the bindweed happily but since this was only 2 months ago I have no idea
if it has killed the bush as well yet! Should be fine though.