Old 16-07-2006, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hornblower

Default Bind weed covers our garden - how to get rid of it?!

We have Bindweed covering most of our garden and plants, it seems
impossible to get rid of, every time we clean it from the garden it is
back (I know to try and remove the roots at the time time but it is so
well entrenched that this is proving very difficult). Is there anyway
to get rid of it or is it a case of clearing the garden completely and
restarting?!

Old 16-07-2006, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Hornblower" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have Bindweed covering most of our garden and plants, it seems
impossible to get rid of, every time we clean it from the garden it is
back (I know to try and remove the roots at the time time but it is so
well entrenched that this is proving very difficult). Is there anyway
to get rid of it or is it a case of clearing the garden completely and
restarting?!

It depends on the size of the garden, of course, but I used a broad-leaf
weedkiller where it was growing in grass, a "no lasting effects" weedkiller
where the plants growing with it didn't matter too much, and then treated
individual cases where it was entangled in things I wanted to keep by
pinching the bind weed off to "one pair of leaves showing" and then I
painted glyphosate gel onto those.

It will recur and you have to be persistent, but my system means that I now
only have a few areas that still need attention from time to time.

--
Brian

Old 16-07-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

I have heard that you should let the plants grow as much as possible then
drench them with Round Up-in that way the weedkiller will spread into their
extensive root system.
It would be sensible to remove flowers in the course of the operation.
Round Up residues will disappear off before next year.
My experience with Round Up and couch grass is that small sections of root
do survive, so I would imagine your plot would have to be tightly monitored
in the years following treatment.-Bindweed will grow from small fragments of
root.
Regards
David T

Old 17-07-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Billywhizz

"david taylor" wrote in
:

[...]

I've found after 3 years of attacking any growth by simply ripping it out
and being careful not to bits everywhere that i have pretty much
eradicated it. Any that does appear now is very weak and spindly. I
also have a new growth that has appeared through a large bush and have
tried the plastic bag and Glyphosate method since pulling it out was
impossible and would have spread more bits to grow back. It has killed
the bindweed happily but since this was only 2 months ago I have no idea
if it has killed the bush as well yet! Should be fine though.
Old 17-07-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Unless you are isolated from it (i.e. surrounded on all sides by bindweed
free gardens or areas) you will never get rid of it and need to live with
it. This is my situation ("wild" hedges around garden and non-gardening
neighbours) and I've found the following reasonably successful as a way to
manage it:
first - treat all possible with glycophosphate.
second - dig up all you can.
then pull off all the growth (of the untreated weed).
finally try to walk around the whole garden at least once a week pulling up
(or spraying if possible) any new growth.
Much of mine is now at the weak and spindly stage and I've only been doing
this for a year. It does take persistence though.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)