Old 18-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike

Default Climbing Yellow roses for a fence

On 18 Mar 2003, (TripFarmer) wrote:
How fast would it grow assuming I fertilized it regularly? I've heard 4-5
feet per year fro a climbing rose. I'd like something that'll grow faster
than
that if possible.

Trip

Hello again, Trip,

If I remember correctly, it was Allegra who mentioned a climber that grew 8
feet it's first year. May not be yellow, though. I can't remember which
rose it was. I quickly looked before I posted this reply, but couldn't find
the reference.

You can also call or send email to rose vendors telling them what you're
looking for and most of them will be more than happy to give you some good
recommendations. It's in their best interest to make you happy. They'll be
familiar with the growth rates of a lot more climbers than I. I know both
Antique Rose Emporium and Chamblee's are good about this. They love to
discuss roses with their customers.

Most climbers do start putting out long limbs rather quickly. 4-5 feet is
more impressive than it sounds. They also pick up speed and fill out the
second year. Instant gratification can be a little hard to come by when it
comes to roses, but the effect is definitely worth it.

Good luck!

Mike
z8TX