Old 19-07-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman

Default Potatoes dying off - normal?

On 18 Jul 2006 04:50:55 -0700, wrote:

Zootal wrote:
Yeah, I've learned a lot here, and alway get answers.

So - what are the odds of planting potatoes again, now, mid July, and
getting something before winter? It seems to me that these potatoes were
only in the ground for a few months, I'm thinking I might be able to get a
second crop to grow.

I live in NY, not sure where you live. We plant in April and are just
starting to pick small spuds. For another year, you could plant 2 weeks
apart til the end of your planting season. Should be interesting.
Spuds are a storage crop so planting more than one doesn't seem to
gain you anything in storage. YMMV
Doris

Not sure where you are but here in Southern NH (zone 5A) my potatoes
are still growing a nice healthy green. They do not die back,
normally, until fall.

However, they do die back abnormally and mine have for the past two
years due to late blight which also affects my tomatoes. I am
treating both for late blight this year and am successful so far. I
hope that is not your problem, if so, they are goners.

John