Old 14-07-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal

Default Potatoes dying off - normal?

I planted a patch of potatoes mid spring. My girls took a bad of rotten
potatoes that had started to grow, cut them up, and buried them. The plants
grew like crazy, hit about 3 feet tall. Now, they are starting to die for no
reason that I can see. Is this normal? I thought they would grow until frost
killed them. There are no diseases I'm aware, no obvious insect damage. Plus
I can actually see the tops of several potatoes on the surface, is that also
normal? Never grown potatoes before, did not know what to expect.

Old 14-07-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat

"Zootal" wrote in message
I planted a patch of potatoes mid spring. My girls took a bad of rotten
potatoes that had started to grow, cut them up, and buried them. The plants
grew like crazy, hit about 3 feet tall. Now, they are starting to die for
no reason that I can see. Is this normal? I thought they would grow until
frost killed them. There are no diseases I'm aware, no obvious insect
damage. Plus I can actually see the tops of several potatoes on the
surface, is that also normal? Never grown potatoes before, did not know
what to expect.

Probably ready to eat. Dig some up and check them out.

Old 14-07-2006, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rick F.

In article , Pat wrote:

"Zootal" wrote in message
I planted a patch of potatoes mid spring. My girls took a bad of rotten
potatoes that had started to grow, cut them up, and buried them. The plants
grew like crazy, hit about 3 feet tall. Now, they are starting to die for
no reason that I can see. Is this normal? I thought they would grow until
frost killed them. There are no diseases I'm aware, no obvious insect
damage. Plus I can actually see the tops of several potatoes on the
surface, is that also normal? Never grown potatoes before, did not know
what to expect.

Probably ready to eat. Dig some up and check them out.

Yup.. That's what potatoes do from what I've seen.. We already ate ours and the
kids had fun digging them up.. Ours were the small red variety and were yummy!

You can let them stay in the ground for a while if you don't want to get them
all out at the same time -- at least from what I've seen. Our plants were all but
dead for probably a month here in the LA area and I when we dug them up, they were
still just as good -- no problems at all..

-- Rick

Old 14-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered User

Smile

Rick F. In article , Pat wrote:

"Zootal"
wrote in message
[...]

yup sounds like u got taters there ready for the plate lol. one thing that i would do though if u are planning on keeping your potatoes in the ground for a little while is to hoe up the ground on either side of the potatoes--this is called hilling and should be done throughout the growing season of potatoes--to cover up any potatoes that are showing so that the potatoes dont turn green in colour from exposure to sunlight as green potatoes arent good to eat.
good luck and hope u get a bountiful harvest . cyaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 18-07-2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Newbie to the group, hope you don't mind me butting in.
Your spuds are probably ready to eat. The plants die back and the
spuds form a tougher skin. Tougher meaning they won't peel when you dig
them. If/ when you see them peaking out of the ground, you should cover
them with dirt. The sun will cause them to turn green. I find the green
part to be bitter.
Someone mentioned hilling. This is done so the spuds will stay
closer to the surface for digging, if they don't have to go down , they
won't.
Been enjoying most of the reading I have done here. Nice group.
Doris

Old 18-07-2006, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal

Yeah, I've learned a lot here, and alway get answers.

So - what are the odds of planting potatoes again, now, mid July, and
getting something before winter? It seems to me that these potatoes were
only in the ground for a few months, I'm thinking I might be able to get a
second crop to grow.

oups.com...

Old 18-07-2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
Yeah, I've learned a lot here, and alway get answers.

So - what are the odds of planting potatoes again, now, mid July, and
getting something before winter? It seems to me that these potatoes were
only in the ground for a few months, I'm thinking I might be able to get a
second crop to grow.

I live in NY, not sure where you live. We plant in April and are just
starting to pick small spuds. For another year, you could plant 2 weeks
apart til the end of your planting season. Should be interesting.
Spuds are a storage crop so planting more than one doesn't seem to
gain you anything in storage. YMMV
Doris

Old 19-07-2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal

"John Bachman" wrote in message
On 18 Jul 2006 04:50:55 -0700, wrote:

Zootal wrote:
Yeah, I've learned a lot here, and alway get answers.

So - what are the odds of planting potatoes again, now, mid July, and
getting something before winter? It seems to me that these potatoes were
only in the ground for a few months, I'm thinking I might be able to get
second crop to grow.

I live in NY, not sure where you live. We plant in April and are just
starting to pick small spuds. For another year, you could plant 2 weeks
apart til the end of your planting season. Should be interesting.
Spuds are a storage crop so planting more than one doesn't seem to
gain you anything in storage. YMMV
Doris

Not sure where you are but here in Southern NH (zone 5A) my potatoes
are still growing a nice healthy green. They do not die back,
normally, until fall.

However, they do die back abnormally and mine have for the past two
years due to late blight which also affects my tomatoes. I am
treating both for late blight this year and am successful so far. I
hope that is not your problem, if so, they are goners.

John

I'm not sure - the plants don't look specifically diseased, they just turn
yellow and die back, some are still green. My tomatoes are as healthy as can
be. The spuds we have dug up have been good - in fact, BBQ some in foil over
a charcoal grill with olive oil and cajun.....mmmm...they are to die for :-)
I'll never buy spuds at a store again!

Old 19-07-2006, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

John Bachman wrote:
. I still have good
butternuts from last year! Wish I could remember how I did that.

John

TLC tender loving care
Doris

Old 19-07-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Zootal wrote:
Yeah, I've learned a lot here, and alway get answers.

So - what are the odds of planting potatoes again, now, mid July, and
getting something before winter? It seems to me that these potatoes were
only in the ground for a few months, I'm thinking I might be able to get a
second crop to grow.

I have been planting potatoes continuously in SE Michigan. out of a bag
of potatoes that we are not eating (not with many potato plants being
ready). Those I planted 3 weeks ago are already one foot tall, and I
planted another 20 two days ago. I have another dozen to plant as soon
as they sprout.
Basically, in summer we buy very little bread and eat potatoes several
nights a week.

In two months of warm weather they will give you some smaller, yet
perfectly edible, potatoes. So go ahead and plant. In my case, the
potatoes that I plant with irrigation in compost mounds grow to 2.5 ft
and continue to grow until frost, making large potatoes. Those that I
plant in places with little compost and no irrigation (also in April)
grow to 1.5 ft, usually die off as you describe around July 1, and
produce smaller, fewer potatoes of course. Younger potatoes are the
best to eat anyway, so even if frost comes early you will enjoy them.