Old 19-07-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Dicentra scandens

On 19/7/06 04:49, in article
, "DavePoole Torquay"
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote in reply to Sacha:

Is anyone else growing this? I can recommend it heartily. We have two in
the garden - one is scrambling through a Grevillea and a Cordyline and the
other on the front of the house is hitching a ride on a Chaenomeles....

Yes! its a firm favourite, especially as it does so well in the shade.

Hmmm. Wish I'd thought of it earlier this year, it could explore the
nether regions of Jasminum polyanthum and provide additional colour
between flushes. It is far too rarely planted and the colour is bright
enough to make the flowers appear to sparkle when caught by the sun at
a low angle. John Treasure had it growing through various plants at
Burford House and I remember mentioning that I thought it did a better
job than some of the more obscure Clematis he'd planted. I don't think
he appreciated that!

I keep thinking we got ours from you but Ray says not. Didn't you have it
scrambling over the gate the back of your garden?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk