Old 17-07-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Dicentra scandens

Is anyone else growing this? I can recommend it heartily. We have two in
the garden - one is scrambling through a Grevillea and a Cordyline and the
other on the front of the house is hitching a ride on a Chaenomeles and
onward and upward! I don't think it's seen very often but it's a very
attractive small-flowered climber.
Here's a pic of one growing in Shropshi http://tinyurl.com/gqcey
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-07-2006, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/7/06 08:31, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Is anyone else growing this? I can recommend it heartily. We have two in
the garden - one is scrambling through a Grevillea and a Cordyline and the
other on the front of the house is hitching a ride on a Chaenomeles and
onward and upward! I don't think it's seen very often but it's a very
attractive small-flowered climber.
Here's a pic of one growing in Shropshi
http://tinyurl.com/gqcey
--

Yes! its a firm favourite, especially as it does so well in the shade.

It seems pretty good-tempered altogether but I wonder why it's not seen
more. It's strange how some things are grown absolutely everywhere and
others, such as this, are comparative rarities.
BTW, Charlie, that white Cobea PH gave you and us, is now roaring up one of
our trees but no signs of flowering yet. It must be well over 25' high but
we think it's too shady so we're going to try a new one in a different spot
next year. But the vigour of the growth it truly astounding.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-07-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 18/7/06 08:31, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I was about to try one out side, so I will aim for sunny (not that that is
hard in this garden!) but my original plant is not flowering yet in the
conservatory and as I met her on Sunday at the Tavistock NCCPG sale I can
tell hers is not yet in flower either. I would have never considered Cobaea
for outdoor planting if it had not been for PH but it seems remarkably
tough.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-07-2006, 04:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Charlie Pridham wrote in reply to Sacha:

Is anyone else growing this? I can recommend it heartily. We have two in
the garden - one is scrambling through a Grevillea and a Cordyline and the
other on the front of the house is hitching a ride on a Chaenomeles....

Yes! its a firm favourite, especially as it does so well in the shade.

Hmmm. Wish I'd thought of it earlier this year, it could explore the
nether regions of Jasminum polyanthum and provide additional colour
between flushes. It is far too rarely planted and the colour is bright
enough to make the flowers appear to sparkle when caught by the sun at
a low angle. John Treasure had it growing through various plants at
Burford House and I remember mentioning that I thought it did a better
job than some of the more obscure Clematis he'd planted. I don't think
he appreciated that!

Old 19-07-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 18/7/06 08:31, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Is anyone else growing this? I can recommend it heartily. We have
two in
the garden - one is scrambling through a Grevillea and a Cordyline
and the
other on the front of the house is hitching a ride on a Chaenomeles and
onward and upward! I don't think it's seen very often but it's a very
attractive small-flowered climber.
Here's a pic of one growing in Shropshi
http://tinyurl.com/gqcey
--

Yes! its a firm favourite, especially as it does so well in the shade.

It seems pretty good-tempered altogether but I wonder why it's not seen
more. It's strange how some things are grown absolutely everywhere and
others, such as this, are comparative rarities.

I've grown it from seed and lost it. I had it still in pots in the
greenhouse but it died out sometime in its second year. Neglect
probably. I'd assumed it was a short-lived perennial but perhaps it
needed cooler conditions.
I seem to think mine wasn't such a clear yellow either. Perhaps it can
be quite variable. I'll have to give it a second try.

Janet G
Old 20-07-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

The naming of these yellow dicentra's is very muddled and some species are
little more than annuals but the plant normally found as D. scandens is a
good perennial with a huge tap root, I sometimes loose them in pots too but
once out (or pot rooted down) they seem indestructible

Old 20-07-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 20/7/06 07:59, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message

snip
I've grown it from seed and lost it. I had it still in pots in the
greenhouse but it died out sometime in its second year. Neglect
probably. I'd assumed it was a short-lived perennial but perhaps it
needed cooler conditions.
I seem to think mine wasn't such a clear yellow either. Perhaps it can
be quite variable. I'll have to give it a second try.

Janet G

The naming of these yellow dicentra's is very muddled and some species are
little more than annuals but the plant normally found as D. scandens is a
good perennial with a huge tap root, I sometimes loose them in pots too but
once out (or pot rooted down) they seem indestructible

I think ours has been in the garden for three years or so now. It survived
last winter so it must be pretty tough. I would say ours is a good clear
yellow but possibly with a very slight amber tinge to the top of the flower.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-07-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/7/06 07:59, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Most of the annual sorts have bigger seed pods. D. scandens pods are little
different to leaves and quite difficult to spot (I do them from cuttings as
I could never find the seed in time!) seed however is at least easy once you
can find it.
There are some good plants at Rosemoor in front of the visitor centre coming
up through the shrubs bit like the various clematis.