Old 19-07-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Default Potatoes dying off - normal?

Zootal wrote:
Yeah, I've learned a lot here, and alway get answers.

So - what are the odds of planting potatoes again, now, mid July, and
getting something before winter? It seems to me that these potatoes were
only in the ground for a few months, I'm thinking I might be able to get a
second crop to grow.

I have been planting potatoes continuously in SE Michigan. out of a bag
of potatoes that we are not eating (not with many potato plants being
ready). Those I planted 3 weeks ago are already one foot tall, and I
planted another 20 two days ago. I have another dozen to plant as soon
as they sprout.
Basically, in summer we buy very little bread and eat potatoes several
nights a week.

In two months of warm weather they will give you some smaller, yet
perfectly edible, potatoes. So go ahead and plant. In my case, the
potatoes that I plant with irrigation in compost mounds grow to 2.5 ft
and continue to grow until frost, making large potatoes. Those that I
plant in places with little compost and no irrigation (also in April)
grow to 1.5 ft, usually die off as you describe around July 1, and
produce smaller, fewer potatoes of course. Younger potatoes are the
best to eat anyway, so even if frost comes early you will enjoy them.