Old 20-07-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Dicentra scandens

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 18/7/06 08:31, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Is anyone else growing this? I can recommend it heartily. We have
two in
the garden - one is scrambling through a Grevillea and a Cordyline
and the
other on the front of the house is hitching a ride on a Chaenomeles

and
onward and upward! I don't think it's seen very often but it's a

very
attractive small-flowered climber.
Here's a pic of one growing in Shropshi
http://tinyurl.com/gqcey
--

Yes! its a firm favourite, especially as it does so well in the shade.

It seems pretty good-tempered altogether but I wonder why it's not seen
more. It's strange how some things are grown absolutely everywhere and
others, such as this, are comparative rarities.

I've grown it from seed and lost it. I had it still in pots in the
greenhouse but it died out sometime in its second year. Neglect
probably. I'd assumed it was a short-lived perennial but perhaps it
needed cooler conditions.
I seem to think mine wasn't such a clear yellow either. Perhaps it can
be quite variable. I'll have to give it a second try.

Janet G

The naming of these yellow dicentra's is very muddled and some species are
little more than annuals but the plant normally found as D. scandens is a
good perennial with a huge tap root, I sometimes loose them in pots too but
once out (or pot rooted down) they seem indestructible
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk