Old 20-07-2006, 10:56 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo

Default Peppers, and soil

Kira Dirlik wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:15:31 GMT, Jo wrote:

You might not want to use Raid on the plants. It getes absorbed into the
plant and then makes the peppers high in pesticide levels. (And the
other plants around them from run off)

Get some DE and cover the stems and under the leaves with them. It will
kill anything on them. Avoid getting it on the flowers or the leaves
near the flowers.

Or you could try a little dish soap and water. That one works really well.
Jo

I know Raid is bad. But I just wanted to try it that once to test
if it is actual critters, or some kind of blight that would be
unaffected by pesticides. Is DE that diatomatus (sp) earth?
This year is probably a bust. Does anyone know if there is a way
to have a 100% fresh start next year? I can't move to an entirely new
area, because my current garden is the only place that gets max sun
(and that only for a few hours.... very tall trees surround). Would
covering it all winter with black plastic kill all the baddies
underneath?
Thanks.
Kira

Thats yes on the DE, I know what a pain to spell. LOL
Another poster said containers, you can get some really nice ones at
Broadwells. I got very large containers there last week.

Go he
http://www.biconet.com/

Look up your critters and see what they recommend for natural control of
them.

I stopped tilling and have gone to sustainable gardening and have
noticed that has helped quite a bit. You can plant other plants that
will help guard your harvest.

I know there are plant guides out there somewhere that tell you which
plants help others. I will try to find it in my bookmarks later. The
little one calls for dinner.

Jo