Old 18-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Jan Flora

Default mushrooms

In article , "Jessica"
wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

From "The Alaskan Mushroom Hunter's Guide" --

"One of the foolproof four... that can't be mistaken for any other
species. ...The young shaggy manes are a delight to eat -- they have
a superb flavor all their own. Use them immediately, because the
fresh mushrooms will mature and dissolve overnight, even in the fridge.
Discard any stems, as they are tough and stringy."

"...more common in the fall, but may be found from June to October..."

Here's a quicky recipe (yes, they're good for cooking, btw):

Baked Shaggy Mane

Cut cleaned mushrooms lengthwise. Place on baking pan, cut side up.
Season with salt, pepper and butter. Bake at 325F. for 3 to 5 minutes.

-- -- --

The standard caveat any time you eat a wild mushroom that's new to
you is to only eat a little bit at first. Wait 20 minutes or so, to see if
you're going to be allergic to it. Some mushrooms will give some people
a tummy ache. There's a mushroom newsgroup with loads of recipes,
links, hunting tips and stuff like that. Nice folks over there : )

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3