Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Jessica

Default mushrooms

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

Old 18-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Jan Flora

In article , "Jessica"
wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

From "The Alaskan Mushroom Hunter's Guide" --

"One of the foolproof four... that can't be mistaken for any other
species. ...The young shaggy manes are a delight to eat -- they have
a superb flavor all their own. Use them immediately, because the
fresh mushrooms will mature and dissolve overnight, even in the fridge.
Discard any stems, as they are tough and stringy."

"...more common in the fall, but may be found from June to October..."

Here's a quicky recipe (yes, they're good for cooking, btw):

Baked Shaggy Mane

Cut cleaned mushrooms lengthwise. Place on baking pan, cut side up.
Season with salt, pepper and butter. Bake at 325F. for 3 to 5 minutes.

-- -- --

The standard caveat any time you eat a wild mushroom that's new to
you is to only eat a little bit at first. Wait 20 minutes or so, to see if
you're going to be allergic to it. Some mushrooms will give some people
a tummy ache. There's a mushroom newsgroup with loads of recipes,
links, hunting tips and stuff like that. Nice folks over there : )

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3
Old 19-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Jessica

Excellent! I can hardly wait until the come popping up. I'll check into that
newsgroup. Any ideas on how to grow my own?

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Jessica"
wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy

manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come

back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to

this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to

eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

From "The Alaskan Mushroom Hunter's Guide" --

Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Jessica

Grow my own shaggy manes that is...

"Jessica" wrote in message
Excellent! I can hardly wait until the come popping up. I'll check into

that
newsgroup. Any ideas on how to grow my own?

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Jessica"
wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy

manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come

back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved

this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to

eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

From "The Alaskan Mushroom Hunter's Guide" --

Old 19-03-2003, 04:44 PM
simy1

"Jessica" wrote in message ...
Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

I am bitterly envious of your good fortune. Shaggies are choice eating
and they will come back (depending on rainfall and temperature, but
more in the fall than in the spring - so don't despair if the spring
flush is not there). To grow your own mushrooms, get any of the kits
offered by www.fungi.com. They have indoors and outdoors kits, for
stumps, logs, lawns, compost piles, wood chips piles. It is nice to
have two or three varieties of mushrooms with staggered flushes. I
have oyster and skiitake in logs.

Old 19-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Jan Flora

The mushroom ng is alt.nature.mushrooms.

I found a couple of shaggy mane recipes over there that I'll
email to you. They sound *really* good.

Mushroom hunting is way fun. It's an excuse to go roam around
in the woods and to eat food -- two of my favorite things : )

Jan

In article , "Jessica"
wrote:

Excellent! I can hardly wait until the come popping up. I'll check into that
newsgroup. Any ideas on how to grow my own?

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Jessica"
wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy

manes

[...]
Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 PM
DGiunti

simy1 writes:

"Jessica" wrote
[...]

I think that what Jessica wants to know is what she needs to do to keep the
Shaggies (which I have never been presented) going. What do they digest (that
needs to be left ... to rot) to make the reproductive bodies?

It could be one of those sorts of problems that "just cleaning things up"
would ruin!

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Minteeleaf

Jessica wrote:

Might not be a true gardening question, but I had a goldmine of Shaggy manes
growing all throughout my yard last fall. My question is, do they come back
only in the fall or can I expect them to come in spring too? I moved to this
place last summer and missed out what mushrooms came in spring.

Also, are they good cooking mushrooms? I haven't been brave enough to eat
them, even though I'm positive they are indeed Shaggy Manes which I
understand are edible.

Thanks,
Jessica

My brother used to gather wild mushrooms in the woods near
where we used to live. One of the gustatory delights of my life
was one morning when he walked in bearing about 5 lbs of Shaggy Manes.
He had just picked them.
He sauteed them in butter as soon as I sliced them.
A more exquisite meal I have never had. They were gloriously fresh.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about their life cycle etc.
I wish I could help, but I can't.

Minteeleaf, who still remembers those exquisite mushrooms
30 years ago.