Old 20-07-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Dicentra scandens

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/7/06 07:59, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message

snip
I've grown it from seed and lost it. I had it still in pots in the
greenhouse but it died out sometime in its second year. Neglect
probably. I'd assumed it was a short-lived perennial but perhaps it
needed cooler conditions.
I seem to think mine wasn't such a clear yellow either. Perhaps it can
be quite variable. I'll have to give it a second try.

Janet G

The naming of these yellow dicentra's is very muddled and some species

are
little more than annuals but the plant normally found as D. scandens is

good perennial with a huge tap root, I sometimes loose them in pots too

but
once out (or pot rooted down) they seem indestructible

I think ours has been in the garden for three years or so now. It

survived
last winter so it must be pretty tough. I would say ours is a good clear
yellow but possibly with a very slight amber tinge to the top of the

flower.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Most of the annual sorts have bigger seed pods. D. scandens pods are little
different to leaves and quite difficult to spot (I do them from cuttings as
I could never find the seed in time!) seed however is at least easy once you
can find it.
There are some good plants at Rosemoor in front of the visitor centre coming
up through the shrubs bit like the various clematis.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk