Old 22-07-2006, 11:44 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Kira Dirlik

Default Peppers, and soil

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:56:35 GMT, Jo wrote:

Look up your critters and see what they recommend for natural control of
them.
I stopped tilling and have gone to sustainable gardening and have
noticed that has helped quite a bit. You can plant other plants that
will help guard your harvest.
I know there are plant guides out there somewhere that tell you which
plants help others. I will try to find it in my bookmarks later. The
little one calls for dinner.
Jo

Big problem with the "critters" is trying to identify them, or it,
whatever it is.
I can't possibly calculate the workhours spent making solid clay into
gorgeous soil over the last 11 years... I compost everything possible
into it. I grind up the fall leaves with the lawnmower and have
plentiful mulch for it every year. In spring I plant the plants with
compost, topsoil, and permatil (to fight off the voles). It has
always worked all these years. It would be really hard for me to
suddenly do the suburban deck thing with containers and abandon that
loose, black soil to the elements.
I just wish I could kill whatever the problem is, and start fresh.
Cheers,
Kira