Old 23-07-2006, 05:19 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Texas-sized Cockroaches

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

I've been seeing a lot of these large brown cockroaches, about
1.5" long and 1" wide. Some fly, but mustly they just seem to
crawl. They're not in the kitchen, they're just in random places
in the house, and where you'd least expect them.

How do they get in and what are they looking for, other than
cheap thrills? And more importantly, how do you get rid of them
when they're not concentrated in any one part of the house? I
see maybe 3 a week. All adults.

Palmetto bugs... They are mostly coming in after water.
Keep all food sources cleaned up so they cannot get into them, and pick
up a box of Echols roach tablets.

And get a cat. ;-)

This happens during the driest part of the summer. I don't see a lot of
live ones anymore, maybe 1 every 2 or 3 months. I generally find their
remains when the cats are done with them. G

Echols tablets are inexpensive and effective. Place them under sinks,
behind the stove and other places roaches might travel. Like mice, they
hug the walls.

This is what has worked for me.

I found what looked to be a empty egg casing this morning, and
where it hatched, it melted a dime-sized hole in the carpet.
Pretty scarry.

-sw

Leave the cobwebs in the closets alone. Your house spiders are very
effective in keeping the younger roaches cleaned up. I used to do that
in my apt. in Temple. It worked. I always found baby palmettos tangled
in the webs when I dusted periodically. I no longer have to do that
tho', that was back when I was in college.

Hope this helps?

You can also lay some 10% sevin along the outside of your foundation.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson