Old 24-07-2006, 05:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Texas-sized Cockroaches

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:19:44 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

I've been seeing a lot of these large brown cockroaches, about
1.5" long and 1" wide. Some fly, but mustly they just seem to
crawl. They're not in the kitchen, they're just in random places
in the house, and where you'd least expect them.

How do they get in and what are they looking for, other than
cheap thrills? And more importantly, how do you get rid of them
when they're not concentrated in any one part of the house? I
see maybe 3 a week. All adults.

Palmetto bugs... They are mostly coming in after water.
Keep all food sources cleaned up so they cannot get into them, and pick
up a box of Echols roach tablets.

I figured they were probably Palmetto Bugs - a somewhat glamorous
name for a huge, ugly cockroach. They don't hang out in the
kitchen any more than they do any other area of the house, it's
just that I find them in such odd spots (like flinging off the
ceiling fan in my room when I turn it on, or under paperwork next
to the computer).

lol I can empathize! When I lived in Temple, I'd generally see them
running across the ceiling when I got home from work and turned on the
light in my Apt. Once I started using the roach tablets, I started
finding dead ones in the middle of the livingroom and kitchen floors
instead. ;-)

I went out and got a 25lb bag of something to spread around the
foundation, and some Ortho stuff for inside around vent/pipe/door
openings.

I couldn't find any of the stuff you mentioned at either Home
Depot or Lowes. I did find some Sevin powder, but that required a
duster (which they didn't have, and I probably wouldn't have
invested in anyway).

-sw

The nice thing about the Echols roach tablets is that they are not very
toxic. All they are is a Boric Acid bait tablet. You can also make your
own boric acid baits. Those can be googled. :-)

I get mine at HEB. The home improvement centers don't carry them.

They are cheap and are pretty effective... but not as effective as cats.
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson