Old 25-07-2006, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy I Love Lucy is offline

Default Advice needed on odd problem - Need some kind of rustproof clips to grip about 3/8" steel rod tightly & neatly

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
Finding the keyboard operational
I Love Lucy entered:

No, my robot did it.

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message Maybe I
misunderstood. I thought you said the stake would be thru the
bottom
of the pepsi bottle which you were going to bury (Not pushing the
stake in the ground). Maybe it's a "U bolt" (cable clamp) that you
need with or without a washer.

That was my idea. U bolt cable clamp maybe washer. Now I know
something to ask for at the hardware store and not get a blank look
from the young guys that help you. They do their best and you do get
waited on there, usually quickly. Thank you

Sometimes you have to do the next best thing. I do have some
concrete
rubble I could fill the pepsi bottles with which would be heavier
than
dirt and the bottle would keep most of it contained (don't want that
stuff back in the planting areas). I could fill them just before I
cover with dirt so I won't scratch up the paint as bad. I'm
anticipating touchup maintenance every so often so they don't rust
and
will last longer. As if that matters because I am getting up in
years.

Cut top off Pepsi bottle, poke hole in bottom of bottle. (heat one
stake and use it to poke the hole)

So far so good until you came to the heating. I'm not heating my
freshly painted stakes even though being in the ground will yuck them
up. I could heat something similar; iron conducts heat very far, so I
would have to use a potholder, I think, doubled.

Put stake in the open top down through the hole
in the bottom.

Had that much thought out.

Lash, braze, epoxy a good sized nail to the bottom the stake
so it won't pull back through.

I sure have the nails the cement guy left in the yard. But how well
will epoxy hold up underground? I kind of liked those clips even if
they cost a little.

Bury the whole thing. Pack the dirt HARD on
top of the bottle

I wasn't going to pack it hard enough. I could pour cement in them and
use a little wider plastic pipe to make the hole loose, then take it out
or leave it in if the stake will go through it.

.. Add the rubble in the bottle if you wish.

I'll have to sift through it, to find the smaller stuff.

This won' t stop a determined thief but it will slow him down.

No. I could slow him down, but it ain't legal.

If you really
want to stop a thief. Weld a chain from post to post with a concrete
block threaded on the chain between each post.

You want me to weld? I don't think so. But that is a darn good idea if
I knew they were going to be there permanently. Be very hard to move.

Set the posts in conrete too.

That's what I wanted to avoid.

Get
an extension welded on the posts to retain the height.

Now my iron guy will charge a lot for that.

Bury the whole
shooting match with the blocks as low as you can get them.

That is almost foolproof. Instead of the pepsi bottle, I could pour
concrete (I think I can mix that, not sure) into a concrete block with a
tube a little larger than the stake so it would slip through. And use
one of those clips. Or the nail.

Isn't sad that we have reached the point that we have to think like
this.

Yes. It's crazy. They only cost $10 at a garage sale but they are
beautiful. I might be able to get $60 for them on ebay. No, I'm not
good on ebay. But I don't want to sell them anyway. I could use
something a little larger than a pepsi bottle. But then the extension
would probably be necessary because so much would be going into the
ground. I could go with a chain above the clip and under the washer
though maybe? I may not be able to dig that dirt on the hill. It's
packed tight. I have an augur for my drill, but that won't get me deep
enough. I could get a bigger one :-).

I also kicked around using my son's weights that are in my garage. I
can barely lift them, without looking, I think they have a big hole in
them, not sure. That would negate using an extension, would need to
modify the clip.

On the hillside they will have to go deep or the bottle or whatever will
show. Maybe I can rig up something with the weights. Maybe I can get
my son to do it for me now that we have a "plan" with some options.. I
wanted to hang my bicycle upside down in the basement, got the holes
drilled in the rafters, heavy eye hooks screwed in, plastic cut just the
right size, bungee cords ready, couldn't lift the bike upsidedown.
Waited for help. Son stops over. He's in a hurry as usual. Balked. I
said I've got everything ready, all I need is for you to help me lift
the bike up. Done in less than 3 minutes.

Maybe I'll just pay somebody to do it like I do most everything else if
I get everything ready to go.

Oh, and thanks.

Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times