Old 26-07-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Ann Jo Ann is offline

Default True Red Annual Poppies

I've never tried to plant poppy seeds for baking, but reportedly "back
in the day" the hemp seeds that were included in mixed birdseed were
sterilized before inclusion (either that, or the government wanted us
to think they were, LOL!) Not sure if this would apply to food-grade
poppy seeds or not...or for that matter, whether food-grade seeds would
be collected from poppies whose cultivation might present a legal
problem.

Jo Ann

zxcvbob wrote:
wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. There is a variety of single poppy seed
which is called "Cherry Glow" It is not legal here in the US evidently
because Thompson & Morgan won't sell it. A shame. Will look into the
double poppies.

They are probably getting harassed by the DEA and that's why they won't
sell them. :-(

Did you see their varieties "Flanders" and Lady Bird" I'd probably get
a packet of each and mix them. They are single rather that doubles.

BTW, has anyone bought a pound of poppyseeds from a healthfood store or
bakery supply and planted them? (I realize the germination rate is
probably terrible.) What did you get -- a mixture of colors, or all
white or lilac, or...? I may try that late this fall. In a bed separate
from the one where my red double poppies were.

Best regards,
Bob -- hopes the double red poppies come back next year