Old 24-07-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default True Red Annual Poppies

Hello,

Have posted now & then. I live in Northern New England. Now, I have a
question about annual poppies. I grow corn poppies and some are true
red but turn orange red after being in bloom for a time (week or two).
Is there a variety that is deep red or even mahogany or purplish red?
The sparkle of the field poppy is hard to beat. I also grow oriental
poppies, Shirley poppies, Cedric Morris poppies, & some California
poppies. I was not planning on growing any field poppies this year,
but they reseeded and I have left many in place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karen

Old 24-07-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Hello,

Have posted now & then. I live in Northern New England. Now, I have a
question about annual poppies. I grow corn poppies and some are true
red but turn orange red after being in bloom for a time (week or two).
Is there a variety that is deep red or even mahogany or purplish red?
The sparkle of the field poppy is hard to beat. I also grow oriental
poppies, Shirley poppies, Cedric Morris poppies, & some California
poppies. I was not planning on growing any field poppies this year,
but they reseeded and I have left many in place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karen

There were some frilly double red poppies that resembled opium poppies
but were a lot smaller growing in my back flower bed for years. All of
them were bright red; no variations. They were annuals and reseed
freely, but the dogs destroyed them last year and they didn't come back
this year. I never figured out what the were, but I think they were a
variety of Papaver rhoeas. I'm hoping there are still seeds in the
ground that may come back next year if I can get the grass out out of
that bed without turning the ground over too much and burying them deep.
I saw some hollyhock seedlings in there this year after I weeded out
the grass, from hollyhocks I grew 2 or 3 years ago, and a lily that I
thought they had killed.

This has not been a good year for gardening; I hurt my back really bad
over a month ago and it's just now getting to where I can work in the
garden a little. At least the dogs are staying out of the garden and
flowerbeds now. I have a wire around them that looks like an electric
fence.

Bob, in Minnesota
Old 24-07-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We have those double red poppies growing in the front flower bed. Don't
know the Latin name for them but they are a true red and the red lasts
until the bloom drops off. Annuals that reseed as Bob mentions. We just
let the seed cases burst open and then cut the rest off. We've had
several varieties of red poppies over the years but many of them played
out after a bit.

Here in USDA zone 9b they come up in January and are usually gone by
April. They do make a beautiful show while they're with us and several
people on our block have displays of them so they must be common enough
to be at Walmart or the more common garden centers.

George

Old 25-07-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com
Hello,

Have posted now & then. I live in Northern New England. Now, I
have
a question about annual poppies. I grow corn poppies and some
are
true red but turn orange red after being in bloom for a time
(week
or two). Is there a variety that is deep red or even mahogany
or
purplish red? The sparkle of the field poppy is hard to beat.
also grow oriental poppies, Shirley poppies, Cedric Morris
poppies,
& some California poppies. I was not planning on growing any
field
poppies this year, but they reseeded and I have left many in
place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karen

Karin

If is your real address you are setting
yourself up to receive lots of spam. If it isn't then you should
not use it. To munge your address you might use something like
lid and then put instructiuons in your
sig explaining that people need to replace the 2 invalids.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 25-07-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,

Have posted now & then. I live in Northern New England. Now, I have a
question about annual poppies. I grow corn poppies and some are true
red but turn orange red after being in bloom for a time (week or two).
Is there a variety that is deep red or even mahogany or purplish red?
The sparkle of the field poppy is hard to beat. I also grow oriental
poppies, Shirley poppies, Cedric Morris poppies, & some California
poppies. I was not planning on growing any field poppies this year,
but they reseeded and I have left many in place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karen

I'm going to order some from Thompson & Morgan. Some look very red to
me. You can write them and ask. They might have some new choices in
their Spring 2007 catalog.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/...full-index/p/3

I want the Flanders Field ones, have some extra seeds I'll try and if
they don't germinate, will buy some more because I'd like some red ones,
too. My neighbor had some pretty red ones, but I didn't follow them too
closely, photographed some orange ones, and there is a huge difference.
I like the red better.

Old 26-07-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks to all who responded. There is a variety of single poppy seed
which is called "Cherry Glow" It is not legal here in the US evidently
because Thompson & Morgan won't sell it. A shame. Will look into the
double poppies.

Karen

Old 26-07-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've never tried to plant poppy seeds for baking, but reportedly "back
in the day" the hemp seeds that were included in mixed birdseed were
sterilized before inclusion (either that, or the government wanted us
to think they were, LOL!) Not sure if this would apply to food-grade
poppy seeds or not...or for that matter, whether food-grade seeds would
be collected from poppies whose cultivation might present a legal
problem.

Jo Ann

zxcvbob wrote:
wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. There is a variety of single poppy seed
which is called "Cherry Glow" It is not legal here in the US evidently
because Thompson & Morgan won't sell it. A shame. Will look into the
double poppies.

They are probably getting harassed by the DEA and that's why they won't
sell them. :-(

Did you see their varieties "Flanders" and Lady Bird" I'd probably get
a packet of each and mix them. They are single rather that doubles.

BTW, has anyone bought a pound of poppyseeds from a healthfood store or
bakery supply and planted them? (I realize the germination rate is
probably terrible.) What did you get -- a mixture of colors, or all
white or lilac, or...? I may try that late this fall. In a bed separate
from the one where my red double poppies were.

Best regards,
Bob -- hopes the double red poppies come back next year