Old 26-07-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default A real headbanger

Okay, I got bold or stupid and decided to try my hand at some flasks.
I've read articles, chapters, and advice at different websites.
Everybody has their own techniques, but I thought I had everything
right.

I sterilized the medium, rinsed the agar, soaked the seedlings in
physan 20, protected them from too much dry air while they got hardened
off a bit, etc. They've been planted and look pretty bad. It's been
two weeks.

Except for one. I found a stray today that had gotten tangled up in my
mop up rag left laying in a stainless sink. The stray had tumble
weeded around and was trying to grow to a dish cloth that I had used to
mop up spilled water, fungicide, plant food, and coffee.

I honestly think I over handled the plants while taking every
precaution. But a dish rag? Darn it, what happened to the need for
sanitation, air movement, light, and drainage? There is no justice.