Old 27-07-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default True Red Annual Poppies

In message om,
writes
Hello,

Have posted now & then. I live in Northern New England. Now, I have a
question about annual poppies. I grow corn poppies and some are true
red but turn orange red after being in bloom for a time (week or two).
Is there a variety that is deep red or even mahogany or purplish red?
The sparkle of the field poppy is hard to beat. I also grow oriental
poppies, Shirley poppies, Cedric Morris poppies, & some California
poppies. I was not planning on growing any field poppies this year,
but they reseeded and I have left many in place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karen

IIRC, Papaver commutatum doesn't have the scarlet case of the common
Papaver rhoeas. I've also seen it said that the same is true for
Mediterranean populations of Papaver rhoeas.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley