Old 27-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Plantaganet Plantaganet is offline
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I saw a recent message on green water. I have a 1200 gallon koi pond,
and this year the water has been really dark green. I can hardly see
the fish. Will this cause the fish to develop ulcers or sickness? I
changed the filter and replaced about 2/3 of the water, but it is still
very dark. If the pond needs shade, is the answer just plants or
maybe an awning??? Thanks for any help. Dan
---
I am new to ponds, having very recently installed a mini pond with a yellow flowering water lily and two aquatic plants but no fish, in my back garden. Before starting digging, I read quite a few books on the subject and have been given much advice on setting my pond up. I raised the subject of green water on more than one occasion and was told that, if I chose the correct aquatic plants, any green water would clear quite quickly. My pond is in a position which enables it to get full sun for most of the day, a must for healthy water lilies I understand. As I have plenty of rain water, I used that instead of tap water and so far, I don't have green water. No doubt time will tell.
.