Old 21-07-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default green water

I saw a recent message on green water. I have a 1200 gallon koi pond,
and this year the water has been really dark green. I can hardly see
the fish. Will this cause the fish to develop ulcers or sickness? I
changed the filter and replaced about 2/3 of the water, but it is still
very dark. If the pond needs shade, is the answer just plants or
maybe an awning??? Thanks for any help. Dan

Old 23-07-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

the green means there is abundance of wastes in the pond. you dont say how many
fish, what kind of filter. and especially, you dont say what kind of aeration.
you need to create a veggie filter and get a UV to clear the water. green water
wont, per se, hurt the fish after all fish fry are raised in green water, but if they
do have a problem you wont see it. and the most serious problem is in hot weather
green water will suck all the OXYGEN out of the water and the fish will be dying in
the morning if there isnt hellatious aeration going on all night. Ingrid

wrote:

I saw a recent message on green water. I have a 1200 gallon koi pond,
and this year the water has been really dark green. I can hardly see
the fish. Will this cause the fish to develop ulcers or sickness? I
changed the filter and replaced about 2/3 of the water, but it is still
very dark. If the pond needs shade, is the answer just plants or
maybe an awning??? Thanks for any help. Dan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 27-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I saw a recent message on green water. I have a 1200 gallon koi pond,
and this year the water has been really dark green. I can hardly see
the fish. Will this cause the fish to develop ulcers or sickness? I
changed the filter and replaced about 2/3 of the water, but it is still
very dark. If the pond needs shade, is the answer just plants or
maybe an awning??? Thanks for any help. Dan
---
I am new to ponds, having very recently installed a mini pond with a yellow flowering water lily and two aquatic plants but no fish, in my back garden. Before starting digging, I read quite a few books on the subject and have been given much advice on setting my pond up. I raised the subject of green water on more than one occasion and was told that, if I chose the correct aquatic plants, any green water would clear quite quickly. My pond is in a position which enables it to get full sun for most of the day, a must for healthy water lilies I understand. As I have plenty of rain water, I used that instead of tap water and so far, I don't have green water. No doubt time will tell.
.
Old 29-07-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds

I am new to ponds, having very recently installed a mini pond with a
yellow flowering water lily and two aquatic plants but no fish, in my
back garden. Before starting digging, I read quite a few books on the
subject and have been given much advice on setting my pond up. I raised
the subject of green water on more than one occasion and was told that,
if I chose the correct aquatic plants, any green water would clear
quite quickly. My pond is in a position which enables it to get full
sun for most of the day, a must for healthy water lilies I understand.
As I have plenty of rain water, I used that instead of tap water and so
far, I don't have green water. No doubt time will tell.

As long as you don't add fish, green water is less likely. It is
overstocking with fish that is a ponder's undoing most often. ~ jan

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 30-07-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

aeration is essential to preventing foul water tho. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at