Old 28-07-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default Canna lily

In message , Clive in Kent
writes
Hi all,

I've just been given a wonderful canna lily which i've put in a glazed pot
on my patio. Will it be hardy enough to leave out over winter or should I
bring it into my greenhouse? I'm in Maidstone Kent.

All reponses gratefully received

Two years ago we lifted our canna rhizomes and stored them in a frost
free area and tried to remember to dampen them occasionally to keep them
from drying out completely - the majority survived. Last winter we
tried to keep them outside in their containers in a sheltered location
and although we are located in South Devon and the temperatures very
rarely get anywhere below freezing we lost virtually all of them. I
think that the problem was the cold and the wet rather than just the
cold. On that basis I would certainly move it into your greenhouse
after the first frost.
--
Robert