Old 28-07-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Canna lily

Hi all,

I've just been given a wonderful canna lily which i've put in a glazed pot
on my patio. Will it be hardy enough to leave out over winter or should I
bring it into my greenhouse? I'm in Maidstone Kent.

All reponses gratefully received

Clive Holden (Kent GB)

Old 28-07-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

I've just been given a wonderful canna lily which i've put in a glazed

pot
on my patio. Will it be hardy enough to leave out over winter or

should I
bring it into my greenhouse? I'm in Maidstone Kent.

All reponses gratefully received

Clive Holden (Kent GB)

Item 6 on this site appears to give all of the information which you
require.

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index...n=Custom&ID=63

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-07-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

I've just been given a wonderful canna lily which i've put in a glazed pot
on my patio. Will it be hardy enough to leave out over winter or should I
bring it into my greenhouse? I'm in Maidstone Kent.

All reponses gratefully received

Clive Holden (Kent GB)

In a pot I would bring it in (it will need repotting each year) in the
ground with a loose mulch mine are fine out over winter, good drainage is
required as much as warmth.
Having it in a pot can speed up the start of flowering although you have to
watch out for red spider mite attack while it's in growth inside in the
spring, so I have learnt not to leave the previous years stems as this can
make matters worse, although several of the species will flower all winter
under glass so its tempting to leave them!.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-07-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Clive in Kent
writes
Hi all,

I've just been given a wonderful canna lily which i've put in a glazed pot
on my patio. Will it be hardy enough to leave out over winter or should I
bring it into my greenhouse? I'm in Maidstone Kent.

All reponses gratefully received

Two years ago we lifted our canna rhizomes and stored them in a frost
free area and tried to remember to dampen them occasionally to keep them
from drying out completely - the majority survived. Last winter we
tried to keep them outside in their containers in a sheltered location
and although we are located in South Devon and the temperatures very
rarely get anywhere below freezing we lost virtually all of them. I
think that the problem was the cold and the wet rather than just the
cold. On that basis I would certainly move it into your greenhouse
after the first frost.
--
Robert
Old 31-07-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for your responses.

Clive in Kent

Red Canna Lily BarbaraH[_2_] Garden Photos 0 18-02-2013 11:12 AM
Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna lily advice needed Nicholas Steel Australia 4 16-08-2003 01:02 PM
Canna Lily Flossie Australia 3 29-05-2003 12:44 PM
Not a lily at all ( What to do with lily question) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 0 28-02-2003 05:51 PM