Old 28-07-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default Wot, no beans!

"MikeCT" wrote in message
:I was interested to read in the letters page of my daily newspaper today
: that this year, runner beans are flowering but not setting beans. That has
: been the case with the correspondent and his friends in different parts of
: the country. Earlier this year all my runner beans were systematically
: beheaded, one after the other, before they even had a chance of starting
: climb the bean poles and flower. At first, I suspected our three resident
: wood pigeons, but on reflection thought that they would have eaten the
: plants and not left them lying beside the stalks. Undaunted, I sowed a
fresh
: crop. However, they too went the same way. After some detective work, I
: found that snails were the culprits, and what a lot I've got!
:
: MikeCT
:
I would not think of planting anything of that nature without putting a few
slug pellets around. Beans are well in excess here, if you lived locally you
could have a carrier bag full too

www.rraa.moonfruit.com