Old 30-07-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Davy Davy is offline

Default Pond Shelves - Recommendations Please?

So Koi-Lo strongly recommends against planting straight into gravel/soil
because the roots become matted and the whole substrate needs to be taken up
when doing the plant maintenance; whilst Sean McKinney says it is not a
problem (but doesn't elaborate on why it is not a problem).

Any other views on the basket/earth issue for wildlife ponds? At the moment
I am leaning to planting in gravel because a new 16 sq m pond will need a
lot of baskets (?) and because baskets might make the planting not look too
formal (?).

cheers

Davy

"Davy" wrote in message
I am constructing a 16 sq m butyl-lined wildlife pond. I have built

shelves
200mm (8") deep and 500 (18")mm wide. Because the pond is quite large and
will need many marginal plants I intend to plant direct into soil on the
shelves. I will try to shape the soil under the butyl to provide a small

dam
to retain the soil.

Is this reasonable? Any recommendations?

thanks

Davy