Old 30-07-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_2_] cloud dreamer[_2_] is offline

Default Veg in pots

terryd wrote:

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks

Not sure which of these you still have time for, but next year you can
plant tomatoes, potatoes, cucumber, celery, cauliflower, even corn in
containers. Nothing stops you from trying a few onions and carrots per
pail as well.

I use large cedar planters or half barrels as well as the regular 30L
pails (5 gallon).

The one thing to remember with container gardening is that you have to
use potting soil, not regular soil. The regular stuff will compact very
tightly, won't hold water or nutrients. The potting soil retains
moisture and contains enough nutrients for one season. You can cut it
with some peat as well and I usually add a handful of composted manure,
bone meal (if needed by the plant) and compost. A third or more can be
straight compost if you like.

The soil has to be replaced the following year (or reinvigorated
thoroughly if you have no where to dump the old soil).

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.