Old 30-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Default Veg in pots

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks

Terry
Old 30-07-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

terryd wrote:

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks

Not sure which of these you still have time for, but next year you can
plant tomatoes, potatoes, cucumber, celery, cauliflower, even corn in
containers. Nothing stops you from trying a few onions and carrots per
pail as well.

I use large cedar planters or half barrels as well as the regular 30L
pails (5 gallon).

The one thing to remember with container gardening is that you have to
use potting soil, not regular soil. The regular stuff will compact very
tightly, won't hold water or nutrients. The potting soil retains
moisture and contains enough nutrients for one season. You can cut it
with some peat as well and I usually add a handful of composted manure,
bone meal (if needed by the plant) and compost. A third or more can be
straight compost if you like.

The soil has to be replaced the following year (or reinvigorated
thoroughly if you have no where to dump the old soil).

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Old 30-07-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:43:45 +0100, terryd
wrote:

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?

Cabbage and spinach are cool season crops here in the midlands of
South Carolina, as are most greens, dill, and cilantro. Around
now is when I'll start seeds, although it's hard to imagine a
cool season right now!

You'll do best getting advice on what plants and varieties to
plant and when to plant them from someone with a climate similar
to yours.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 31-07-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

terryd wrote:
Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks

Here's a pointer for you: give us a clue as to where you are, what
your climate is, whether you have full or part sun where you intend to
put the containers. No one can tell you what to plant when without
knowing these basics. -aem

Old 31-07-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

aem wrote:

terryd wrote:

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks

Here's a pointer for you: give us a clue as to where you are, what
your climate is, whether you have full or part sun where you intend to
put the containers. No one can tell you what to plant when without
knowing these basics. -aem

The email indicates the UK.

..

Old 31-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud dreamer
aem wrote:

terryd wrote:

Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so i
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks

Here's a pointer for you: give us a clue as to where you are, what
your climate is, whether you have full or part sun where you intend to
put the containers. No one can tell you what to plant when without
knowing these basics. -aem

The email indicates the UK.

..
Yes i am in the uk. I have quite a well sunned back yard which is surrounded by about a 4.5 foot wall on two sides
Old 31-07-2006, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

terryd wrote:
cloud dreamer Wrote:

aem wrote:
-
terryd wrote:
-
Hi i have a fair bit of room in my back yard but it is all concrete so
have decided to use pots for a few veg.
I have just bought some GREEN WINTER CABBAGE and SPINACH not sure if
it's a bit late in the year for the cabbage ?. What else would be good
to plant at this time of year ?
Any pointers would be great thanks
-

Here's a pointer for you: give us a clue as to where you are, what
your climate is, whether you have full or part sun where you intend
put the containers. No one can tell you what to plant when without
knowing these basics. -aem
-

The email indicates the UK.

..

Yes i am in the uk. I have quite a well sunned back yard which is
surrounded by about a 4.5 foot wall on two sides

You get sun in the UK?

Your weather is much like my own except that your season is probably a
little longer. Everything I said will work for you for next year. Pretty
well everything I listed except the Tomatoes will tolerate frosts in the
Spring. The tomatoes can wait until all danger of frost has passed.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.