Old 31-07-2006, 08:35 AM posted to rec.ponds
Davy Davy is offline

Default Pond Shelves - Recommendations Please?

Rodney,

OK so gravel it is rather than earth. But will I need to add some soil to
the gravel at first to get the plants growing or can water plants grow in
clean gravel?

thanks

Davy

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.j36gwv0.pminews@ouse ...
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:02:48 +0100, Davy wrote:

I am constructing a 16 sq m butyl-lined wildlife pond. I have built

shelves
200mm (8") deep and 500 (18")mm wide. Because the pond is quite large

and
will need many marginal plants I intend to plant direct into soil on the
shelves. I will try to shape the soil under the butyl to provide a small

dam
to retain the soil.

Is this reasonable? Any recommendations?

I think it's reasonable but I would use gravel instead of soil. It's
far less likely to float away and it will clog up with bits of wind
blown soil in time anyway but will be more stable. Like any plants they
will need tending such as weeding and cutting/pulling back and that
should be easier if they are in gravel.

Adding some sloping edge to the pond will help frogs, toads and newts
to exit the pond when they wish. Toads and newts tend to use ponds just
for breeding and spend much of their lives in the surrounding ground
out of the pond.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont