Old 31-07-2006, 03:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default plant i.d. when you don't know where to start...?

Sawasdee krab Kylie,

My usual thought is to either upload a picture onto a website and then ask
people here to identify them by giving the link.

Another alternative is to take a piece of the plant to your local nursery
and seek the horticulturist (hence not the 16 y/o on the till). Your state's
department of agriculture might have someone who can help also.

Locals may be able to help even if it is just a common name.

Oh and lastly IDing plants is easier if they are in flower as well.

Cheers

Richard

"0tterbot" wrote in message
bonjour,

at our new property we'll be moving to soonish, there are a number of

plants
that i don't know, & don't know how to find out what they are either! i've
looked at various online resources, but they tend to be either geographic,
OR, based around plant family, or based around recommendations for "plants
for a boggy spot", "plants for a dry, windswept area", you know, that sort
of thing. the books i have are similar & haven't been any help with the
(literally) couple of things i want to identify.

assuming one hasn't the first idea of plant family, native or exotic, or

any
of the usual distinctions, how does one go about finding out what

soemthing
is, when you know _nothing_ except what it looks like? does anyone know of
any good online photographic resources (say, helpfully divided into
categories like "tree", "shrub" etc? g

or, is my best bet going to be investing in copies of "what tree is that?"

&
all of those?

i'm a bit despondent because i suspect that what i need just doesn't exist
:-)

tia for any help.
kylie