Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Richard[_2_] Richard[_2_] is offline

Default Cucumber and Squash have combined

"SueB" wrote in news:1154290490.834391.25740
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?

Yes, thinking that cucumbers and squash have crossed because they look
funny is a very common mistake. Cucumbers (Cucumis sativa) and squash
(Cucurbita melo and other species) do not cross-pollinate. And for the
varieties of melon or squash that do cross-pollinate, it only affects the
seeds and the plants they will grow into. After all, if your black poodle
is impregnated by a white poodle, she doesn't turn grey. Only the puppies
are affected.

2) Is the food edible?

Try it and see.

3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

Don't save the seeds for next year if you have any questions.

A gardener with mutant veggies....