Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj[_1_] ~ janj[_1_] is offline

Default Heat and Water Temps ??

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 01:29:47 -0400, (Bette In Ohio) wrote:

Any good tips on how to help bring down water temps of 80 degrees.
The heat is on, here in OH-- the pond was at 78 degrees yesterday and 81
degrees today.

Those temps aren't bad for koi or goldfish, now if you have trout, that
could be a problem.

I've been misting the pond for 3 or 4 hours every evening and topping it
off with cold water every other day.

The pond is about 2200 gals. has a waterfall and is 2/3rds covered with
lilies, lettuce and water hyacinth. It has a 2 foot wide bridge over it
that offers some more shade.
So far the koi and goldfish seem Ok-- but we are expecting 3 more days
in the mid to high 90's and I'm getting worried.

We had 7 days over 100+, one of which was 112F. Koi ponds got up to 84F,
goldfish lily pond got up to 88F. Everyone made it thru fine. Except I
can't find 2 goldfish. I was in the pond today searching, no bodies, I
think I had a Kingfisher visit (damn!) one was a $35 panda moor male. :-(
Make sure you have lots of aeration, fountain and/or waterfall going. Don't
feed over 84F. Your bio-bugs are not working well at those higher temps.
~ jan
www.jjspond.us

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium