Old 01-08-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Heat and Water Temps ??

Any good tips on how to help bring down water temps of 80 degrees.
The heat is on, here in OH-- the pond was at 78 degrees yesterday and 81
degrees today.

I've been misting the pond for 3 or 4 hours every evening and topping it
off with cold water every other day.

The pond is about 2200 gals. has a waterfall and is 2/3rds covered with
lilies, lettuce and water hyacinth. It has a 2 foot wide bridge over it
that offers some more shade.
So far the koi and goldfish seem Ok-- but we are expecting 3 more days
in the mid to high 90's and I'm getting worried.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 01:29:47 -0400, (Bette In Ohio) wrote:

Any good tips on how to help bring down water temps of 80 degrees.
The heat is on, here in OH-- the pond was at 78 degrees yesterday and 81
degrees today.

Those temps aren't bad for koi or goldfish, now if you have trout, that
could be a problem.

I've been misting the pond for 3 or 4 hours every evening and topping it
off with cold water every other day.

The pond is about 2200 gals. has a waterfall and is 2/3rds covered with
lilies, lettuce and water hyacinth. It has a 2 foot wide bridge over it
that offers some more shade.
So far the koi and goldfish seem Ok-- but we are expecting 3 more days
in the mid to high 90's and I'm getting worried.

We had 7 days over 100+, one of which was 112F. Koi ponds got up to 84F,
goldfish lily pond got up to 88F. Everyone made it thru fine. Except I
can't find 2 goldfish. I was in the pond today searching, no bodies, I
think I had a Kingfisher visit (damn!) one was a $35 panda moor male. :-(
Make sure you have lots of aeration, fountain and/or waterfall going. Don't
feed over 84F. Your bio-bugs are not working well at those higher temps.
~ jan
www.jjspond.us

-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 01-08-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Bette In Ohio" wrote in message
Any good tips on how to help bring down water temps of 80 degrees.
The heat is on, here in OH-- the pond was at 78 degrees yesterday and 81
degrees today.

It's even hotter here in middle TN. We have old white sheets and curtains
covering 1/3 the top of the above ground ponds. They rest on the protective
netting. Clothespins hold them in place. The inground ponds don't get as
warm. The water was over 90 the other day but the koi, rosy reds and GF are
tolerating it well.

So far the koi and goldfish seem Ok-- but we are expecting 3 more days
in the mid to high 90's and I'm getting worried.

I would make sure there's good water circulation and aeration. They should
be ok if mine survive water in the 90s. :-)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds

"~ janj" wrote in message

Except I
can't find 2 goldfish. I was in the pond today searching, no bodies, I
think I had a Kingfisher visit (damn!) one was a $35 panda moor male. :-(
Make sure you have lots of aeration, fountain and/or waterfall going.
Don't
feed over 84F. Your bio-bugs are not working well at those higher temps.

===================
It could have been a snake or bullfrog as motion sprayers don't deter them
at all.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Heat and Water Temps ? (Thank You All)

I am so grateful, thank you all for relieving a major part of my heat
related stress. It's been in the mid to high 90's here, for the last 4
days with heat indexs of 100 to 105. No relief expected before Fri.

After the heron attack in June, I don't think I could have stood losing
any more fish from the pond.

Bette

Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Bette In Ohio" wrote in message
I am so grateful, thank you all for relieving a major part of my heat
related stress. It's been in the mid to high 90's here, for the last 4
days with heat indexs of 100 to 105. No relief expected before Fri.

We have the same problem. It's already 95 here and very humid. I looked at
the floating thermometers last night and the water was at 92F-93F in most of
the 680g breeding tanks. The fish were fine. :-)

After the heron attack in June, I don't think I could have stood losing
any more fish from the pond.

At one time we were losing several fish a week, then a day. We finally gave
in and bought those thin hard-to-see black bird nets and netted everything.
No more losses to snapping turtles, huge bullfrogs and water snakes,
kingfishers and herons.

--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Bette In Ohio" wrote in message
Any good tips on how to help bring down water temps of 80 degrees.
The heat is on, here in OH-- the pond was at 78 degrees yesterday and 81
degrees today.

Take advantage of basic chemistry. Use water in an alternate form. Namely
ice. It takes a lot of heat energy to melt ice. Heat energy that can come
from the pond.

For a large enough pond, cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle, fill it
about 3/4 with water, then freeze it over night.
Then put the giant ice cube in the top of the waterfall. Assuming my math is
correct, each 2L bottle of ice will lower a 2000 gal pond by 0.2F, and
further assuming that the heat energy only comes from the pond, and not the
air above the pond.

10lb blocks of ice is about 4.5L of ice. Placed in the waterfall stream, it
should do a good job of evenly spreading out the cooler water, instead of
creating a cold spot in the pond which could shock the fish.

Math:
Heat 2L of ice @ -5C
2000mL * 5C * .5cal/CmL = 5000 calories
Melt 2L of ice
2000mL * 80cal/mL = 160000 calories
Heat 2L of ice water to 26.6C (80F)
2000mL * 1 cal/CmL * 26.6C = 53200 calories

Cool 2000 gal (7570L) pond by N degrees
7570L*1000mL/L * 1cal/mL * N = 218200 calories
N = 0.028C ~= 0.03C

Old 04-08-2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 06:18:37 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

Then put the giant ice cube in the top of the waterfall.

Good idea. I always figured one would put them bobbing in the pond.

Be sure and dechlor the water before freezing, or just leave in bottle. It
might even melt a bit slower in a sealed bottle. ~ jan
-----------------

Old 04-08-2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 06:18:37 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

Then put the giant ice cube in the top of the waterfall. Assuming my math is
correct, each 2L bottle of ice will lower a 2000 gal pond by 0.2F, and
further assuming that the heat energy only comes from the pond, and not the
air above the pond.

That's cool!

Regards,

Hal

Old 04-08-2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.ponds

"~ janj" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 06:18:37 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

Then put the giant ice cube in the top of the waterfall.

Good idea. I always figured one would put them bobbing in the pond.

Be sure and dechlor the water before freezing, or just leave in bottle. It
might even melt a bit slower in a sealed bottle. ~ jan

I agree, better safe then sorry. But I honestly don't think 2L of slightly
chlorinated tap water is going to be much of a danger when it's diluted with
7570L of pond water. 2L makes about 0.02% of the pond's volume. Of that, how
much of the original ice water is chlorine? We're talking about such a small
fraction, it's not worth the hassle.

-S

Old 04-08-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

actually the phase transition from ice to water is 80 calories per gram whereas the
transition from liquid to gas is 540 calories per gram.
http://weloveteaching.com/fall2005/m...of_matter.html
better to spritz the water up into the air and what falls back is going to be a lot
cooler. best is shade cloth, like 70% or lilies that float and block the sun.
actually, a piece of styrofoam that blocks the sun works too. Ingrid

Take advantage of basic chemistry. Use water in an alternate form. Namely
ice. It takes a lot of heat energy to melt ice. Heat energy that can come
from the pond.
Math:
Heat 2L of ice @ -5C
2000mL * 5C * .5cal/CmL = 5000 calories
Melt 2L of ice
2000mL * 80cal/mL = 160000 calories
Heat 2L of ice water to 26.6C (80F)
2000mL * 1 cal/CmL * 26.6C = 53200 calories

Cool 2000 gal (7570L) pond by N degrees
7570L*1000mL/L * 1cal/mL * N = 218200 calories
N = 0.028C ~= 0.03C

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 04-08-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
actually the phase transition from ice to water is 80 calories per gram
whereas the
transition from liquid to gas is 540 calories per gram.
http://weloveteaching.com/fall2005/m...of_matter.html
better to spritz the water up into the air and what falls back is going to
be a lot
cooler. best is shade cloth, like 70% or lilies that float and block the
sun.
actually, a piece of styrofoam that blocks the sun works too. Ingrid

====================
2 x 4' sheets of white Styrofoam can be found at any Home Depot or Lowe's
and last for years. We use the old bedsheets suspended above the water
because they don't block gas exchange at the water surface as floating
Styrofoam sheets would.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
actually the phase transition from ice to water is 80 calories per gram
whereas the
transition from liquid to gas is 540 calories per gram.
http://weloveteaching.com/fall2005/m...of_matter.html
better to spritz the water up into the air and what falls back is going to
be a lot
cooler. best is shade cloth, like 70% or lilies that float and block the
sun.
actually, a piece of styrofoam that blocks the sun works too. Ingrid

That assumes that the humidity level is low enough to support evaporative
cooling. Presumably the waterfall and other water circulation features
already maximize the evaporative cooling potential.

Reminds me of what one of my profs used to say. Try both, see what happens,
then report back to us.

-S

Natural solar heat gain v controlled heat gain? keith kent Orchids 3 27-11-2007 05:56 PM
water temps WVNebJockey Ponds 3 31-03-2005 02:19 PM
Water temps at various depths Ka30P Ponds 8 07-09-2004 05:27 AM
Water temps at various depths Roy Ponds 5 07-09-2004 05:27 AM
heat stroke and heat exhaustion [email protected] Ponds 29 31-05-2003 03:56 AM