Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Mike is offline

Default Tree Stumps On Fire?

"newsreader" wrote in message
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
Saw a product in the Big Orange Depot store...priced less than $10....it
says that I can drill some holes, pour this stuff down, and then in a
couple of weeks set the stump on fire with kerosene and voila! stump is
turned to ash. Anybody have any insight on this product?

It's most likely potassium nitrate.
I doubt it would work it's magic that fast on a new stump.
An old stump would probably work pretty well. The potassium nitrate gets
sucked into the root mass, making it more flammable.
I wouldn't want to use Kerosene myself. I rather just clear a safety zone
around the stump, then build a nice bonfire on top of it.

No it doesen't make it more flammable but rather speeds up the decay of the
stump.