Old 31-07-2006, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Tree Stumps On Fire?

Saw a product in the Big Orange Depot store...priced less than $10....it
says that I can drill some holes, pour this stuff down, and then in a couple
of weeks set the stump on fire with kerosene and voila! stump is turned to
ash. Anybody have any insight on this product?

Old 31-07-2006, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Todd Lerfondler wrote:
Saw a product in the Big Orange Depot store...priced less than $10....it
says that I can drill some holes, pour this stuff down, and then in a couple
of weeks set the stump on fire with kerosene and voila! stump is turned to
ash. Anybody have any insight on this product?

It's most likely potassium nitrate.
I doubt it would work it's magic that fast on a new stump.
An old stump would probably work pretty well. The potassium nitrate gets
sucked into the root mass, making it more flammable.
I wouldn't want to use Kerosene myself. I rather just clear a safety
zone around the stump, then build a nice bonfire on top of it.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"newsreader" wrote in message
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
Saw a product in the Big Orange Depot store...priced less than $10....it
says that I can drill some holes, pour this stuff down, and then in a
couple of weeks set the stump on fire with kerosene and voila! stump is
turned to ash. Anybody have any insight on this product?

It's most likely potassium nitrate.
I doubt it would work it's magic that fast on a new stump.
An old stump would probably work pretty well. The potassium nitrate gets
sucked into the root mass, making it more flammable.
I wouldn't want to use Kerosene myself. I rather just clear a safety zone
around the stump, then build a nice bonfire on top of it.

No it doesen't make it more flammable but rather speeds up the decay of the
stump.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike wrote:

No it doesen't make it more flammable but rather speeds up the decay of the
stump.

Thanks for clearing that up.

As a kid, I remember my dad always had a bag of potassium nitrate
around, which he would somewhat regularly put into holes in the numerous
stumps we had in the yard. My understanding was it made the stumps rot
away more quickly.

In recent years, I bought a container of ???Green Light??? stump
remover from a box store. The directions were just what the original
poster described. Said to add into holes, wait a specified time, then
burn out the stump with kerosene. I had thought maybe dear old Dad had
been missing the last step all those years ago, as he never burned any.
Now I see that he was smarter than me. No big surprise.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I used a product like this on a new stump. It took two applications over
the course of 12 months to achieve the desired results. It might work
faster on an old stump.