Old 01-08-2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] is offline

Default Rejuvenating basil

In article . com,
"Pete from Boston" wrote:

We planted a lot of basil (way too much) close together this year, with
the intent of thinning them once they got going. Well, fast-forward to
today, and we never really got around to that thinning until this week,
so the plants aren't doing as well as they should.

My question:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

Talk to them and play them classical music..... ;-)
Seriously.

Also make sure the soil they were planted in is loose and well drained
so the poor abused roots can take hold. Don't over-fertilize.

Expect about a 50% morbidity rate tho'.

Good luck!
--
Peace!