Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rejuvenating basil

We planted a lot of basil (way too much) close together this year, with
the intent of thinning them once they got going. Well, fast-forward to
today, and we never really got around to that thinning until this week,
so the plants aren't doing as well as they should.

My question:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
"Pete from Boston" wrote:

We planted a lot of basil (way too much) close together this year, with
the intent of thinning them once they got going. Well, fast-forward to
today, and we never really got around to that thinning until this week,
so the plants aren't doing as well as they should.

My question:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

Talk to them and play them classical music..... ;-)
Seriously.

Also make sure the soil they were planted in is loose and well drained
so the poor abused roots can take hold. Don't over-fertilize.

Expect about a 50% morbidity rate tho'.

Good luck!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
"Pete from Boston" wrote:

We planted a lot of basil (way too much) close together this year, with
the intent of thinning them once they got going. Well, fast-forward to
today, and we never really got around to that thinning until this week,
so the plants aren't doing as well as they should.

My question:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

All I can tell you is what I see. I'm no expert. I've been growing basil
for about twelve years and I seem to be the most successful when they
are in pot with some shade. Not constant shade, but shade a couple of
time a day (a half hour's to an hour's duration) Mine are now about two
feet tall and about a foot and a half in diameter. I water them about
once a day (until the pot runs) and fish emulsion a couple a time during
the season. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pete from Boston wrote:
We planted a lot of basil (way too much) close together this year, with
the intent of thinning them once they got going. Well, fast-forward to
today, and we never really got around to that thinning until this week,
so the plants aren't doing as well as they should.

My question:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

Did you thin them? If not, go ahead. The remaining plants should
appreciate it, but it will take a while for them to branch out.

Basil plants don't last that long anyway. Once they start to flower,
there's not much you can do.

Susan B.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sueb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Basil plants don't last that long anyway. Once they start to flower,
there's not much you can do.

So, you pinch 'em back when they start to flower, to keep 'em going. They
can grow to be the size of small bushes under the right conditions.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1 Aug 2006 09:21:15 -0700, "Pete from Boston"
wrote:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

Heat, sunlight, and regular watering makes for happy basil. Don't over
fertilize.

Go ahead and pinch the growing tip off even if it's not trying to
flower, and the plants will branch more.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 03:40:19 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"sueb" wrote:

Basil plants don't last that long anyway. Once they start to flower,
there's not much you can do.

So, you pinch 'em back when they start to flower, to keep 'em going. They
can grow to be the size of small bushes under the right conditions.

I was gonna say!

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"sueb" wrote:

Basil plants don't last that long anyway. Once they start to flower,
there's not much you can do.

So, you pinch 'em back when they start to flower, to keep 'em going. They
can grow to be the size of small bushes under the right conditions.

I can't wait until I get some flowering basil again. The flowers are
ever so sweet tasting, and taste wonderful in a sanwich with cheeses
like gruyere, masdammer, leerdammer and jarlsberg cheese.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"sueb" wrote:

Basil plants don't last that long anyway. Once they start to flower,
there's not much you can do.

So, you pinch 'em back when they start to flower, to keep 'em going. They
can grow to be the size of small bushes under the right conditions.

I can't wait until I get some flowering basil again. The flowers are
ever so sweet tasting, and taste wonderful in a sanwich with cheeses
like gruyere, masdammer, leerdammer and jarlsberg cheese.

Amen sister. Besides all that "dammer" cheese, if you want the basil to
stand-up to the garlic in your pesto, pick the floowers first and make
up the difference with the leaves. Bella-bella. It would be a little
awkward with bruschetta though, not impossible, just awkward. Pesto,
green salad, and melon, followed by a cheese plate (if your cardiologist
allows) make for a great meal (al fresco if possible), especially on a
hot day . Chardonnay (or other dry white) with the pesto, red with the
cheese (If the cheese is really funky(gruyere, limberger, a really good
camenbert), make it a Pinot, he said parenthetically.). What ever you
do, use the basil flowers. They are too pungent to toss.